thoughts on a good out of the box LR setup on a budget

DanielLudwig

ive been looking at picking up a new rig for medium-long range deer hunting, and i have kinda takin an interest in the Weatherby Vanguard Synthetic in .257 Wby Magnum, and also to top it a 6-18 Nikon Buckmaster. just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this combonation or suggestions on a perhaps better setup on a budget.
thanks
Dan

Well how long are you talking? A friend of mine used one last year and it would shoot 100gr TSX's and 110 Accubonds accurate enough to shoot out to 600 or 700 yards. Every rifle is different but his had good accuracy and velocity.As for the scope from what I have heard the New Buckmaster scopes track very well even better then some scopes that are twice as much. The glass on them is very sharp to.

The 257 weatherby is a real nice cartridge and the few rifles I have gotten to shoot in this chamber all preformed well.
You might keep in mind the savage target rifle in a 243 win. With this gun you can shoot the 105 AMax bullet and we have used it accuratly out to 1100yds before.
Brass and loading would be cheaper as well as the gun itself.

I am a leup fan myself but those nikons are really starting to win me over, you wont be dissapointed in the scope

jmop

good luck
steve

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.