Thoughts on a LR Rig?

earlybird

I'm planning on building a rifle for deer and elk hunting. I am having a little trouble on choosing a caliber. I am not planning on bench shooting comptetivly. I'm not a wildcat cartridge guy but would consider one. I was leaning towards a .300 win mag, but I don't want to have a muzzel brake on the gun. Maybe I don't need to go that big... I'm thinking 0-800 yards or so. What are some of your thoughts and why. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
Read the entire 210 VLD vs 215 hybrid thread and you'll make that 300 win mag.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/cmparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

Broz's 300 win mag stacks up 18 kills this season!

The 300 win mag has moderate recoil. While you see guys using a brake, you really don't need one. There is an advantage with its use, you might be able to see your LR hit through the scope with some rifles. There is a disadvantage with a brake as well, they are VERY loud, hearing protection is a must.

Thanks AZ shooter. I have shot a Win Mag for the last ten years for my big game gun. I'm very familar with the cartridge. The gun I have shoots well enough but I don't think that it shoots good enough to be consistent out to 800 +.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.