Any recent preferred barrel blanks reports?

I'd be asking for a new barrel and for them to pay for all the wasted ammo seeing how they told you to go shoot it knowing the barrel is way out of spec.
We will see. It looks good, but the tight spot is what I suspect is causing the inaccuracy.

I am not bad mouthing PBB. I know several others who have PBB barrels and they shoot well but I just got this 6 mm Creedmoor barrel in and it is not cooperating. This is a video after 250 rounds of load development. Best Group is 1.3 inches. The details of the video tells more about the reloading process.

I plan to test three more bullets tomorrow and then I will contact PBB. When I originally contacted them, I had concerns about the land and grooves having a raised edge. They advise me to shoot it and then get back with them. One thing I have noticed about 3/4 of the way down the barrel when I'm cleaning it there's a tight spot for about 1.25".

Is the rifle bedded? Also, have you picked up some factory ammo to see if that has any difference in groups, just to rule out anything that you may not be seeing during reloading? I have 6mm Creed PBB barrel I have built on a Kelbly Atlas Tac and it is accurate, but I have only test fired it with factory ammo, no reloads. I have got .50 and .75 3 shot groups at 100yds with Hornady 103gr ELDX and Hornady 105gr black ammo. I was going to purchase some Match grade ammo after I finish Cerakote to see how they shoot before I put it on the market. Just something you may want to try before investing more in reloading supplies. My barrel is 7.5 twist.

I am not bad mouthing PBB. I know several others who have PBB barrels and they shoot well but I just got this 6 mm Creedmoor barrel in and it is not cooperating. This is a video after 250 rounds of load development. Best Group is 1.3 inches. The details of the video tells more about the reloading process.

I plan to test three more bullets tomorrow and then I will contact PBB. When I originally contacted them, I had concerns about the land and grooves having a raised edge. They advise me to shoot it and then get back with them. One thing I have noticed about 3/4 of the way down the barrel when I'm cleaning it there's a tight spot for about 1.25".

That's a lot of rounds to not find something worthwhile for an experienced shooter and hand loader.
I'd send it back with an explanation of what you found so far.

I had a similar problem with a top shelf barrel but I had it fluted it so they said sorry, I can't warrant a barrel that has been fluted. My lesson learned.

Seems like you're shooting a LOT of different combinations of bullets and powders. Have you focused on just one pill and done a seating depth test with any of the different pills?Have you tried any of the Berger Hybrid bullets? Mine shoots the 105 great and was very easy to load for! Reason I mention the Hybrid Berger is I've found them to be very forgiving and not sensitive to seating depth.

Last edited:
Is the rifle bedded? Also, have you picked up some factory ammo to see if that has any difference in groups, just to rule out anything that you may not be seeing during reloading? I have 6mm Creed PBB barrel I have built on a Kelbly Atlas Tac and it is accurate, but I have only test fired it with factory ammo, no reloads. I have got .50 and .75 3 shot groups at 100yds with Hornady 103gr ELDX and Hornady 105gr black ammo. I was going to purchase some Match grade ammo after I finish Cerakote to see how they shoot before I put it on the market. Just something you may want to try before investing more in reloading supplies. My barrel is 7.5 twist.
Yes, it is bedded. Tried it in two different chassis also w/ no improvement.

Seems like you're shooting a LOT of different combinations of bullets and powders. Have you focused on just one pill and done a seating depth test with any of the different pills?Have you tried any of the Berger Hybrid bullets? Mine shoots the 105 great and was very easy to load for! Reason I mention the Hybrid Berger is I've found them to be very forgiving and not sensitive to seating depth.
I don't think shooting 103 grain and 90 grain. ELDX with h4350 and h4831 is a lot of combination of bullets and powder.
At the very end I only shot 20 rounds of the 90 grain sierra and 95 grain nozzle ballistic tip.
This is a deer/coyote/hog rifle, so the intent is to use hunting bullets.

Been following this whole sequence and I can understand your disappointment. It certainly is getting clean enough. After this many rounds with no improvement the time has come to get a decision from PBB. With that cartridge and combo you should get at least .5 MOA. Please let us know what they say.
Thanks

I don't think shooting 103 grain and 90 grain. ELDX with h4350 and h4831 is a lot of combination of bullets and powder.
At the very end I only shot 20 rounds of the 90 grain sierra and 95 grain nozzle ballistic tip.
That "first outing" video looked to have some decent but low shot count groups. That hasn't held up?

Understood. I was looking at the PBB site and it looks like there are only 2 choices of reamer. Which one did you select when ordering, the 183 FB "Alpha reamer"? Is this a barrel nut or a shouldered prefit? Just curious.

I use the Berger Hybrids on Deer size game with excellent results. I know you said you plan on using this as a hunting rifle so just sharing. Hope you can iron this out.

Understood. I was looking at the PBB site and it looks like there are only 2 choices of reamer. Which one did you select when ordering, the 183 FB "Alpha reamer"? Is this a barrel nut or a shouldered prefit? Just curious.

I use the Berger Hybrids on Deer size game with excellent results. I know you said you plan on using this as a hunting rifle so just sharing. Hope you can iron this out.
It is a shoulder prefit w/ .183 freebore which is supposed to be factory saami specs.
Pics of some groups/ data.

Attachments

• IMG_5504.jpeg
    IMG_5504.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5503.jpeg
    IMG_5503.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5501.jpeg
    IMG_5501.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5502.jpeg
    IMG_5502.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5500.jpeg
    IMG_5500.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 12
  • image_cropper_E90F070E-62F0-49F4-AAE4-31769CF43625-11309-00000EA67081A0AC.jpeg
    image_cropper_E90F070E-62F0-49F4-AAE4-31769CF43625-11309-00000EA67081A0AC.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 13
  • image_cropper_01A8668D-117B-4C8A-94AF-3C75B673C712-11309-00000EA7891C2235.jpeg
    image_cropper_01A8668D-117B-4C8A-94AF-3C75B673C712-11309-00000EA7891C2235.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5491.jpeg
    IMG_5491.jpeg
    237.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5482.jpeg
    IMG_5482.jpeg
    240.2 KB · Views: 10
  • image_cropper_90AD9C9B-0FA9-42E5-A798-AB3AA8AC5256-11089-00000E683FF0399E.jpeg
    image_cropper_90AD9C9B-0FA9-42E5-A798-AB3AA8AC5256-11089-00000E683FF0399E.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 13

Recent Posts