Preferred impact velocity?

I shot it without a break, I shot my buddy's with magnaports and shot both of mine with the break shown. I am used to radial breaks, started out with the BOSS over 25 years ago. I dont have a problem shooting any from 22-250 to 375H&H. Just wear double ear protection

I can't hunt with hearing protection, unless it's noise canceling ear plugs…..which are a PIA! I'll only use them when handgun hunting…..which isn't often!

While my hearing isn't the best……I'd like to hear that griz before he introduces himself! 😉 😁 memtb

There are a bunch on gunbroker. Mine are both Win M70 CRF. One of the last New Haven Stainless Synthetic. I found it as a NOS in a shop in PA but searching on line. The other is one of the few South Carolina made, Stainless Laminated. That one I ordered through a dealer from Winchester and waited a year. Ordered in 2012 and recieved in 2013.
I bought a 375H&H off of Gun Broker many years ago, but I since sold it and now have a 375 Ruger. Gun Broker can be great tool. The key is setting up an account and then creating a search for your item(s). You will get email updates daily. The same goes for other sites like Guns International, Cabela's Gun Room etc. Some of the bigger online dealers might be able to help as well. This really expands your market past the local stores. For the locals, call every LGS and pawn shop within a day trip drive and tell them what you are looking for. You might get lucky. I was visiting North Fort Myers several (+6?) years a ago and spotted a LGS in a small strip mall. I went in to poke around a bit. Nice store and friendly owner. Mostly handguns in the cases but there was a really nice Remington 700 - 375 H&H in the rack for low money. Of course I did not need it and did not know of anyone looking for one at the time. Good luck with your search!

Savage had those muzzle brakes, with about 1/4 turn they went from open to close. Not too bad a deal unless forget to close it, then fired with no ear muffs and the brake open. Just a good bit more tighter groups, when using the brake.

Savage had those muzzle brakes, with about 1/4 turn they went from open to close. Not too bad a deal unless forget to close it, then fired with no ear muffs and the brake open. Just a good bit more tighter groups, when using the brake.
Browning/Winchester has the BOSS CR (bought them for all my BOSS rifles). Use the break when tuning at the range, replace with the CR for hunt. Tuning stays the same, and no break.

So far, and that could change at any time, I'm doing OK from the bench! But as I age…..my days from the bench without a brake may be numbered! memtb

So far, and that could change at any time, I'm doing OK from the bench! But as I age…..my days from the bench without a brake may be numbered! memtb
I was 26 when I got my 24inch 300WBY and was given 116 rounds. Shot them all the first day. Don't ask me to do that today at 63. I am not recoil sensitive, but it does have a cumulative effect. Most of my rifles have breaks now. I can spend all day, no issues.

Might sound dumb but I have wanted to buy a 375 H&H for a while but can't find a dealer in my area in Florida who is even willing to order one. I quit asking about a year ago...any ideas where I should look? I probably can't swing a custom one right now but it may be possible to do in the future.
I found my 375 H&H at a pawn shop (in Florida) never shot. It is a Winchester Model 70. Not a mark on it so I am guessing it was never taken a field. I can say though I bought it for a trip to Africa that never happened. However I will take it bear hunting this Fall out of state.

I found my 375 H&H at a pawn shop (in Florida) never shot. It is a Winchester Model 70. Not a mark on it so I am guessing it was never taken a field. I can say though I bought it for a trip to Africa that never happened. However I will take it bear hunting this Fall out of state.

Ya done good! Don't wait for an out of state bear hunt…..it will do just fine for deer and hogs!

Except for long range use, 500+ yards, it could easily become your only hunting rifle/cartridge! memtb

I was 26 when I got my 24inch 300WBY and was given 116 rounds. Shot them all the first day. Don't ask me to do that today at 63. I am not recoil sensitive, but it does have a cumulative effect. Most of my rifles have breaks now. I can spend all day, no issues.

I used to be good for 40 or so rounds through my AI (9 pounds) at one sitting …..not sure that I could do that anymore!

If components weren't so scarece and I weren't so cheap….I'd like to test myself, just for the heck of it! memtb

Ya done good! Don't wait for an out of state bear hunt…..it will do just fine for deer and hogs!

Except for long range use, 500+ yards, it could easily become your only hunting rifle/cartridge! memtb
What is the lightest bullet you shoot in it?

I used to be good for 40 or so rounds through my AI (9 pounds) at one sitting …..not sure that I could do that anymore!

If components weren't so scarece and I weren't so cheap….I'd like to test myself, just for the heck of it! memtb
8.9 lbs as it was pictured, scoped, break, no sling no ammo. I could have sowrn it was heavier. I am not complaining.

Last edited:
What is the lightest bullet you shoot in it?

I use Barnes….used 270 TSX's for years, but their BC was equal that of a brick!

Barnes came out with the 250 TTSX but, I don't like light bullets…..so I held off using them for a long time!

I called, and sent emails to Barnes begging for a heavier, high BC bullet…..it seemed as though it would never happen! So….under duress, I bought a bunch of 250 TTSX's and developed a good load with them! They have performed good on game…..no complaints!

Then….. they bring out the 270 LRX 🤬🤬🤬🤬, after I have a good load and a bunch of the 250's.

I finally broke down and had my wife get me 200 rounds of LRX's for my birthday and Christmas!

I used-up about 15 or 18 rounds a few weeks back developing a load with them! Pretty pleased…..topped-out right at 3100 fps mv. The photo shows 2, 3 shot groups fired, 2 days apart, and I grain difference in powder charges! The group circled in red is about 1/2" center to center….and the load I'll use!

So, to finally answer your question…..270 grain LRX's. I guess that I'll shoot Prairie Dogs and Coyotes with the remaining 250's! 😉 memtb

1694110073126.jpeg

I use Barnes….used 270 TSX's for years, but their BC was equal that of a brick!

Barnes came out with the 250 TTSX but, I don't like light bullets…..so I held off using them for a long time!

I called, and sent emails to Barnes begging for a heavier, high BC bullet…..it seemed as though it would never happen! So….under duress, I bought a bunch of 250 TTSX's and developed a good load with them! They have performed good on game…..no complaints!

Then….. they bring out the 270 LRX 🤬🤬🤬🤬, after I have a good load and a bunch of the 250's.

I finally broke down and had my wife get me 200 rounds of LRX's for my birthday and Christmas!

I used-up about 15 or 18 rounds a few weeks back developing a load with them! Pretty pleased…..topped-out right at 3100 fps mv. The photo shows 2, 3 shot groups fired, 2 days apart, and I grain difference in powder charges! The group circled in red is about 1/2" center to center….and the load I'll use!

So, to finally answer your question…..270 grain LRX's. I guess that I'll shoot Prairie Dogs and Coyotes with the remaining 250's! 😉 memtb

View attachment 492271
Only shot Noslers 250, bought some 300 but never loaded. Shot 300 on my friends. With the magnaport