Preferred impact velocity?

Only shot Noslers 250, bought some 300 but never loaded. Shot 300 on my friends. With the magnaport

My old H&H is about 10 1/2 pounds…..isn't bad at all with 300's. Weight is a great recoil mitigator! 😉 But, sucks to carry all day.

I often said that, I wish my rifle was 2 pounds lighter when I'm carrying it…….and 2 pounds heavier when I shoot'n it! 😁 memtb

My old H&H is about 10 1/2 pounds…..isn't bad at all with 300's. Weight is a great recoil mitigator! 😉 But, sucks to carry all day.

I often said that, I wish my rifle was 2 pounds lighter when I'm carrying it…….and 2 pounds heavier when I shoot'n it! 😁 memtb
we can do that. You can make you custom lead weights to carry in your pockets and attach to rifle when shooting 🤣
When It cools down here I might load some 375 for fun

we can do that. You can make you custom lead weights to carry in your pockets and attach to rifle when shooting 🤣
When It cools down here I might load some 375 for fun

I don't know if you have a load developed or not…..but, for what it's worth (likely not much) I do all my load development on hot days (90+). I don't like high pressure surprises 🙀 when I'm shooting on a hot day!

That's the reason I only recently developed the load previously mentioned! memtb

I don't know if you have a load developed or not…..but, for what it's worth (likely not much) I do all my load development on hot days (90+). I don't like high pressure surprises 🙀 when I'm shooting on a hot day!

That's the reason I only recently developed the load previously mentioned! memtb
I understand. But my personal range does not have a cover/shade and 105 degrees becomes difficult real fast. When I used public ranges it was easier to work in hot days.

Man you mention the weight thing…to date the hardest kick I've taken has without question been from light 12 guage shotguns shooting heavy loads. .358 Norma and .375 Hh aren't even close to that punishment. I read somewhere that a typical weight pump action 12 guage shooting the real heavy 3.5" turkey shells generates more foot pounds of recoil AND at a much faster recoil impulse velocity than a typical weight bolt rifle chambered in .458 win mag. But for most hunters and shooters a big bore safari rifle inspires awe and fear, like it's a whole other animal. And a shotgun is familiar, just another tool haha.

All this to say…there are droves of men who take more of a beating to hunt A BIRD that isn't even that good at flying than they'd take to hunt the largest walking animal on this planet 🤣🤣🤣🤣

If the aliens are indeed watching us they must have some questions…

Last edited:
I find thew exact opposite is true. Velocity is much more important than energy. Especially with pass throughs.
Yup and ESPECIALLY WITH,. Berger's as, Velocity,.. Kills !
I'd like to stay ABOVE,.. 2,000 FPS,.. if possible, with the 140's ( 6.5's or .277's ) starting at, 3,100 to 3,200 FPS,.
and 1,800 is the SURE Min. IMO

I have had great results with bullets ranging from 85 grains to 195 grains with velocities averaging around 3100 at the muzzle, and as long as I have done my job they have done theirs with few exceptions. My .243 loves 85 grain Sierra bthp GameKings, and deer do not, bang flop most every time out to 300 yards. I've shot Nosler, Berger, Hornady, and Sierra more than all others. The only bullets I have no use for are the SST's. I had a 140 grain Sierra take a long time to kill a deer with a really well placed shot at almost 500 yards, so I quit shooting those at distance, but other than that I've had great success with a wide range of bullets.
What does the SST do or not do for you? I assume this is a terminal performance issue?

I understand. But my personal range does not have a cover/shade and 105 degrees becomes difficult real fast. When I used public ranges it was easier to work in hot days.

My bench at the house doesn't have a cover, and you're right …..not much fun when over 90! I hope to get a cover…..one day! 🤔

But, sacrifices must be made! 😁 memtb

Hey, RockyMtnMT,

Rant on!

I'd sure we'd all like to see your proof that "Barnes on the other hand don't expand well below 2400fps and furthermore in order to generate significant hydrostatic shock (critical for fast killing especially with a monolithic bullet) ideally impact velocity needs to be >2600-2700fps."

That is most idiotic mis-statement i've read in a long time. At retirement age i've been around a long time to hear/read some stupid statements but this one is in the top 10. Their are BB's that have minimum impact velocities as high as 2000 fps; 6mm 80 TTSX and 85 TSX, 270 cal 110 TTSX, 7mm 110 TTSX, 30 cal 110 TTSX, 30 cal 150 TTSX. These are this high since the platform they are typically shot from has a high MV and it helps to keep from blowing petals off; not a bad thing by the way. Then, as low as 1100 fps 458 SOCOM 300 gr, 1200 fps 450 Bushmaster 275 gr TSX, 1400 fps 270 cal 139 LRX, 7mm 139 LRX. Most are between 1500 and 1800 fps.

Rant off.

Perfect impact velocity is the velocity that the bullet is designed to perform with it's optimum design specifications. Seldom does any specified velocity other than this mean anything since velocity changes on a downward curve as it flies through the air. Since there is no way to measure the exact velocity upon impacting the animal this is kind of a moot point. 🤨
The original post asked what velocity do you want, not at what velocity your bullet is impacting.

For you folks who don't know, Hammer bullets DO NOT have an upper limit established by the factory. Some hunters are hitting game at about 4,000 feet per second!

Sierra 300 grain SBT .375 diameter, 1600 fps minimum
It's good for anything starting with crows and going up to moose.
Large bears require a harder projectile.

I understand that they are much better than they were in the early '80's…..at least that's what I was later told by Craig Boddington.

But, it was too late for me, I had already been "burned" by them! I would call them junk…..but, that would be an insult to junk! I couldn't even get exits with broadside hits on a Mule Deer and an average Black Bear.

Bib Milek turned me onto Hornady 270 grain SP's. I shot them into the same material right beside some of my 300 grain Sierra's. The Hornady gave the typical expansion for an Interlock…..I couldn't find anything but small shards of jacket material from the Sierra.

That's when I went to the Hornady's….very happy with them ay H&H velocities! memtb

The original post asked what velocity do you want, not at what velocity your bullet is impacting.

For you folks who don't know, Hammer bullets DO NOT have an upper limit established by the factory. Some hunters are hitting game at about 4,000 feet per second!
And for the record, none of the mono bullets have an upper velocity so don't think that Hammer Bullets are the Holy Grail. You can spin a mono as fast as you want and it will not fly apart because there are no parts too fly apart. Heat is an issue since friction causes heat and when the heat builds up enough the mono will begin to melt. How fast is too fast? Who knows, and who needs a bullet flying through the air with the greatest of ease a 4000 FPS? I have always found that the most accurate loads are not necessarily the fastest. In some cases the faster the bullet flies beyond the design speed the more unstable it can, (Notice I say can, not will) become.) 4000 fps equals about 3.6 mach. Much faster than most supersonic aircraft fly (Exception SR71 which the politicians were scared of. It might find out their secrets flying so high and fast. Solution, retire it.) Now that should cause some discussion.

Recent replies made me go back and re-read the OP's post. He asked "everyone's perfect impact velocity is on whitetails" and "Please list specific bullet with weight and caliber (not cartridge)." I think most of us, myself included overlooked that part.
Not how fast you can push one, just what your "perfect impact velocity for your spedified bullet is on whitetails"
Hope to get us back on track, it will be educational for sure