Hammer hunters at low impact velocity?

Do not underestimate the effect that barrel twist has on bullet performance. Just because it flies straight and makes round holes in paper does not mean it has enough stability to perform on game. A bullet near the edge of stability can tumble or make a 90 degree turn once it hits instead of going straight, penetrating, and expanding. Most list the MINIMUM twist for stability and may not be optimal for expansion. You won't rip a Hammer apart by spinning it too fast and there's negligible velocity loss(Litz concluded a 1.33 fps loss per added inch of twist).
Picture is an elk at 987 yards with a 227 grain HH from a 7 twist 300 RUM, shot was quartering to and uphill. This round stays above 1,800 fps to almost 2,000 yards.
Do you think they would stabilize in a 1:8 twist RUM? What's the barrel length to get the muzzle velocity that high?

I can't say with any certainty either, but the trickle in from 3 continents, different media, and testers is favoring high velocities, and higher stability factors.

The 1.5 minimum may be just that "minimum". Especially where thicker game, or game long enough to show a good track is evaluated.

The .300 RUM I have in the pipeline is a Bartlein 1-9-1-8" slight gain twist. The 1-8" gives the 199 Hammer Hunter a little over a 2 stability factor which I'm beginning to believe is a better choice for HUNTING BULLETS

5 years ago I would have said set up for the 227 HH, these days I'm more likely to drop a weight than go up.

Bench rest shooting has definitely influenced all aspects of the shooting game positively, but terminal performance may be one area it's been a detriment.

Coupled with the often found twist not being as advertised, even from custom barrels, it may explain some of the drastically different experiences we see with different bullet brands.