Preferred impact velocity?

And for the record, none of the mono bullets have an upper velocity so don't think that Hammer Bullets are the Holy Grail. You can spin a mono as fast as you want and it will not fly apart because there are no parts too fly apart. Heat is an issue since friction causes heat and when the heat builds up enough the mono will begin to melt. How fast is too fast? Who knows, and who needs a bullet flying through the air with the greatest of ease a 4000 FPS? I have always found that the most accurate loads are not necessarily the fastest. In some cases the faster the bullet flies beyond the design speed the more unstable it can, (Notice I say can, not will) become.) 4000 fps equals about 3.6 mach. Much faster than most supersonic aircraft fly (Exception SR71 which the politicians were scared of. It might find out their secrets flying so high and fast. Solution, retire it.) Now that should cause some discussion.
I respect your opinion on this. My experience has shown that some monos do have an upper velocity limit. Not really due to twist issues, rather they don't perform as intended or designed terminally on impact. I've experienced it multiple times with an aluminum tipped mono that simply went to pieces. Partly design and partly copper composition me-thinks. Weird stuff happens at hyper-velocity impacts even with monos when not designed for it.

Hey, RockyMtnMT,

Rant on!

I'd sure we'd all like to see your proof that "Barnes on the other hand don't expand well below 2400fps and furthermore in order to generate significant hydrostatic shock (critical for fast killing especially with a monolithic bullet) ideally impact velocity needs to be >2600-2700fps."

That is most idiotic mis-statement i've read in a long time. At retirement age i've been around a long time to hear/read some stupid statements but this one is in the top 10. Their are BB's that have minimum impact velocities as high as 2000 fps; 6mm 80 TTSX and 85 TSX, 270 cal 110 TTSX, 7mm 110 TTSX, 30 cal 110 TTSX, 30 cal 150 TTSX. These are this high since the platform they are typically shot from has a high MV and it helps to keep from blowing petals off; not a bad thing by the way. Then, as low as 1100 fps 458 SOCOM 300 gr, 1200 fps 450 Bushmaster 275 gr TSX, 1400 fps 270 cal 139 LRX, 7mm 139 LRX. Most are between 1500 and 1800 fps.

Rant off.
Steve can speak for himself, but there is a difference between the big bore designs at the beginning of your list than the typical small-bore designs in velocity performance. I'd love to see your recovered bullets from the 270 and 7mm that impacted between 1500 & 1800 fps. In my experience, yes they can do the job, but not as effectively or dramatically as the velocity ranges Steve mentions. Your words are pretty strong and emotionally charged against a man who has done an incredible amount of terminal research to reach his conclusions. Maybe you have proof to back up your claims? I'd suggest a more gentlemanly and objective approach to boast your credibility. 😉

"Maybe you have proof to back up your claims? I'd suggest a more gentlemanly and objective approach to boast your credibility. 😉"yy

I'll see what I can come up. And yes, I was a bit over the top. My apologies to RockyMtnMT. When I read where someone maligns Barnes Bullets and i've seen just the opposite, THOUSANDS of times......

Gday asd9055
Hope this is ok
Recent replies made me go back and re-read the OP's post. He asked "everyone's perfect impact velocity is on whitetails" and "Please list specific bullet with weight and caliber (not cartridge)." I think most of us, myself included overlooked that part.
Not how fast you can push one, just what your "perfect impact velocity for your spedified bullet is on whitetails"
Hope to get us back on track, it will be educational for sure
Only a couple of whitetail here so I don't have enough data on them for my liking to give a more definitive answer so I'll go broad that maybe useful for some of a few impact velocities that have shown good killing over a wide variety of pills

Here's a sample of a few bullet data charts ( all 30 cal ) I've compiled over the years on how they have preformed in the field all impact velocity & deer size up
A4660054-F540-4870-9814-A55709FB2C6C.jpegA60E0318-8DE3-4D9F-BC32-D95B3DC0544F.jpeg2E329D8D-3E22-49A4-BA1D-5539E19AFCB4.jpeg7CFDF973-60B5-47C0-9B54-F031B81B9D62.jpeg67CC18B3-3044-4227-8198-81518E55C351.jpeg8FE94283-C030-4C4D-9666-3E61076565F9.jpegE9A68AD4-EF97-4BE5-B3CE-6BEE366762F3.jpeg143EED6B-FCF1-46EE-8A76-5E16724652EC.jpeg17B2C821-B051-40E4-BE6E-6845D3387B21.jpegDC44A1AE-14F9-468C-9D55-1F4BB727FF40.jpeg
Todays pills ( various companies) have shown more consistency & a greater velocity window than was once the case also some very good pills that are no longer made which is a shame as they were great to play with

Interesting impact numbers that people are putting up 👍 with great observations

Cheers

Gday northkill
🤔🤣👍
Yes sir, at your service. 😎 Hope you've been doing well and stayin out of trouble over there. 😉
I'll send a pm not to derail as it's personal & it's not to bag anyone out I'll make that clear as i was always bought up if you wouldn't say it to someone's face you have no right hiding behind someone or something

so you shouldn't say it @ all if it wouldn't be said face to face

Now back to the thread
cheers

Might sound dumb but I have wanted to buy a 375 H&H for a while but can't find a dealer in my area in Florida who is even willing to order one. I quit asking about a year ago...any ideas where I should look? I probably can't swing a custom one right now but it may be possible to do in the future.
I'll send you a PM in a few minutes...

"Maybe you have proof to back up your claims? I'd suggest a more gentlemanly and objective approach to boast your credibility. 😉"yy

I'll see what I can come up. And yes, I was a bit over the top. My apologies to RockyMtnMT. When I read where someone maligns Barnes Bullets and i've seen just the opposite, THOUSANDS of times......
I appreciate ya bro. Get what you're sayin... The way I know Steve @RockyMtnMT, I don't think he meant it quite that way... I've run both myself, and don't think I'll ever go back to Barnes. The technology has moved on.

Last edited:
And for the record, none of the mono bullets have an upper velocity so don't think that Hammer Bullets are the Holy Grail. You can spin a mono as fast as you want and it will not fly apart because there are no parts too fly apart. Heat is an issue since friction causes heat and when the heat builds up enough the mono will begin to melt. How fast is too fast? Who knows, and who needs a bullet flying through the air with the greatest of ease a 4000 FPS? I have always found that the most accurate loads are not necessarily the fastest. In some cases the faster the bullet flies beyond the design speed the more unstable it can, (Notice I say can, not will) become.) 4000 fps equals about 3.6 mach. Much faster than most supersonic aircraft fly (Exception SR71 which the politicians were scared of. It might find out their secrets flying so high and fast. Solution, retire it.) Now that should cause some discussion.
Don't worry, the SR-71 was retired because they have a faster one. As a matter of fact, the SR-72 is so fast that it doesn't carry a human on-board so it can turn at its capability. It's basically a super fast RC aircraft.