Any recent preferred barrel blanks reports?

The one thing I remembered today when I torqued my barrel onto my action is that the caliber and twist inscription is upside down when the barrel is torqued. Kind of bothers me a little inside 😅

I'm far from a gunsmith, but it seems that with a headspaced barrel it would be easy to tell where it was going to end up.

The rest seems good so far.
They may headspace perfectly but it depends where the initial tenon thread begins (clock position) that determines where the stamping position will be on different receivers.

That's why most prefit companies stamp all around the shank.

My only prefit was 338 Norma. Headspaced perfect and engraving was in the right spot. It shoots many ¼ moa groups and almost all groups are no bigger than ½ moa as long as i use 300 grain bullets. Killed an elk at 1050 one shot ( Mausingfield action) i have a 308 and 243. All are carbon fiber wrapped. All shoot just fine. They made their delivery projections each time.
I tried to buy a 9.3mm from them but they wouldn't provide the twist rate i wanted. I ordered one from another company and they sent me a 375 barrel ( lands are .366)
I ordered a third one from Shaw so we will see.

The whole PBB selling unlapped barrels thing is a non-issue to some people but one shouldn't act surprised when you don't get a bartlien like bore because you saved $ on a price point barrel that isn't lapped.
They do offer a lapping service for $65. I am just learning and getting into this part of the sport and have not had any issues with the 3 barrels I have from them. I also bought my 2 blanks from them to take to Bob Pastor's to chamber. Haven't been able to get those 2 out to the range yet.

Seems like that jacked up part of your lands is like that because it's supposed to be freebore and the reamer either isn't cutting it wide enough or the groove dimension is over spec.

Looks like it's shooting ok though.

I'll 2nd that, I've had a barrel with that "issue" before. Where there appeared to be lands/grooves in the freebore. It was a spec issue.

The one thing I remembered today when I torqued my barrel onto my action is that the caliber and twist inscription is upside down when the barrel is torqued. Kind of bothers me a little inside 😅

I'm far from a gunsmith, but it seems that with a headspaced barrel it would be easy to tell where it was going to end up.

The rest seems good so far.
Depends on where the action's threads start. If the threads aren't indexed repeatedly during manufacturing of the action, then the barrel engraving won't line up in the same place on every action. Or the barrel maker isn't repeatably indexing the engraving on the barrel.

Has anyone purchased a contoured CF blank from them and had a GS install it? How about the different carbon options? I'm curious what the nickel plated or 50/50 carbon looks like. I've been looking at them for about a year but hesitant to pull the trigger on one. TIA

They may headspace perfectly but it depends where the initial tenon thread begins (clock position) that determines where the stamping position will be on different receivers.

That's why most prefit companies stamp all around the shank.
I have removed and replaced several Tikka factory barrels with other Tikka factory barrels and the stamping rarely lined up even from one Tikka to another because of this thread indexing situation.
But… they headspaced correctly anyhow.

I have removed and replaced several Tikka factory barrels with other Tikka factory barrels and the stamping rarely lined up even from one Tikka to another because of this thread indexing situation.
But… they headspaced correctly anyhow.
Yeah all that stuff makes sense, I guess... I just assumed all the custom actions and barrels were CNC'd, so they would all index the same if they wanted them to

Some of the newer custom actions do index the threads the same... my Bighorn/Zermatt Origins line up the same.
I know others do as well.

Just got a Pbb prefit delivered yesterday, Howage for a weatherby vanguard. It's a 7 max with a 1:8 twist. 800 varmint contour with 1:8 spiral fluting. Finsh looks great and the threads are nice. It spun on great and i will be trying it out tomorrow.

Has anyone purchased a contoured CF blank from them and had a GS install it? How about the different carbon options? I'm curious what the nickel plated or 50/50 carbon looks like. I've been looking at them for about a year but hesitant to pull the trigger on one. TIA

See my post #48. That's 50/50 pictured on the second rifle pic.

Shot my 7 Max barrel today, 180 vld with retumbo. Just a mid range Saum load for break in.

Attachments

• IMG_3279.jpeg
    IMG_3279.jpeg
    251.9 KB · Views: 14