Any reason to go with 6.5 creedmoor?

All considered, maybe keeping the 308 is the best idea, especially that there is 500 rounds of practice ammo available. If you shoot FTR competitions, you will be restricted to the 308 anyways and that is usually the biggest group at a comp. It really just depends on if the 308 meets your accuracy needs. If not, the Creedmoor is a viable option, it is definitely easier to shoot at long range with less wind drift and drop. But that would just put you in F-class open with all of the other 6.5's and big 30 cals to compete against. :)

Those are very valid points I didn't consider. I assumed (dern it) that the competitions he referenced were of the tactical sort where the 6.5's have all but made the 308 extinct.

t

6,5 creedmoor, here to stay, will replace the 260, better case design, Hornady puts out good ammunition at cheap prices, other to follow. Better design will drive this case over the 260. Simplicity and performance.

Still love my 308's though, not letting them go.

Barrelnut,

I started out in the long range games a couple of years ago. I started with a 308 in the light class and went with the 185 berger classic hunters. I shoot silhouettes not groups and do fine out to 1000 yards. If I miss, its usually a bad wind call. At 12 lbs the recoil does wear you down after 50 rounds.
I will always have a 308 due to component availability and they just plain shoot with a number of different powders. 110 gr to 240gr with the right twist rate is variety.

With that said I just had a 6.5 creedmoor built for light class and will weigh around 11 lbs. It has less recoil and ballistics on the140 vlds are amazing. I shoot open caliber comps. But the big 30s and 284s get beat by the 6.5 lapuas and the 6mm dashers regularly. So I searched for the best of both worlds. The creedmoor offers a perfect comprise.
The 140 vld is supersonic out to 1400 yards. Nothing in the 308 arsenal is.
Every comp is different. My advice is own both and let me know which one you end up shooting more.
And yes, try the 230s in that 300.

Only thing wrong with the 6.5 creedmore is the brass. Hornady 6.5 creedmore brass Sucks! I neck up Lapua 22-250 or 243 lapua for my 6.5 creedmore!gun)

Only thing wrong with the 6.5 creedmore is the brass. Hornady 6.5 creedmore brass Sucks! I neck up Lapua 22-250 or 243 lapua for my 6.5 creedmore!gun)

I have 5 loadings on my brass and they are still going strong. I've wondered about necking up Lapua brass but I just don't see the need yet.

I have a custom tight neck 6.5 creedmore, im getting 2950 fps with 140 berger vlds. At 2x some primer pockets were loose , at 3x half were loose and a few fell out! I chuncked the Hornady in the trash can and Necked up some lapua 22-250 and have been happier every since. I know i have a hot load but my Bartlein barrel is giving 9 fps es over 15 shots , so i will live with this hot round for now!

I have a custom tight neck 6.5 creedmore, im getting 2950 fps with 140 berger vlds. At 2x some primer pockets were loose , at 3x half were loose and a few fell out! I chuncked the Hornady in the trash can and Necked up some lapua 22-250 and have been happier every since. I know i have a hot load but my Bartlein barrel is giving 9 fps es over 15 shots , so i will live with this hot round for now!

Makes sense to me that your brass was going south given those velocities. You're outside of the "normal" operating pressures for the Creedmoor. Lapua brass will fix your case life but your pressures are still high.

The 6.5 Creed sucks and you guys need to admit it. The .260 will be here and around a LOT longer time.

Based on what premise? The 260 is a great cartridge no doubt however, it offers little more than brass selection as a perspective of superiority.

t

I think someone is jealous of our 30 degree shoulder....
.260 AI has as 40* shoulder... And I think it might be a little bit faster than the 6.5 Creed, which is slightly slower than the regular .260 Rem. :D

Not to mention that awesome Lapua .260 brass.

I think it's a toss-up, but personal preference, I'll take a .260 AI anyday with Lapua brass.

1.) I never said that the Creedmoor was faster.

2.) You can also use 243 lapua brass and make creedmoor brass FYI.

3.) And I don't have to modify the CM to make it better. :D

1.) I never said that the Creedmoor was faster.

2.) You can also use 243 lapua brass and make creedmoor brass FYI.

3.) And I don't have to modify the CM to make it better. :D
How is it better? A regular .260 Remington is faster than the 6.5 Creedmoor...Not by alot, but it's still faster.

Recent Posts