Any luck deer hunting?

I was fortunate to get two good bucks this year. While am sure that certain areas can have specific population issues dueto disease , severe winters, or poor game management practices, I think hunting pressure and the deers ability to adapt is a factor. The deer are there and probably increasing in population they are evolving and adapting. We hunt a property that 10 yeas ago you could see deer all day. You would now believe that they have disappeared. The Trail Cams and sign indicate that there are probably more good bucks in this area today than ever. They have become mostly nocturnal and the only chance to get a shot is to catch them off guard during the rut or push them. When I first bough my property about 15 years ago I would bow hunt cottontails in my fields and easily limit out within a couple hour of hunting. Today, I might get a shot per week. Go out at night and shine a light on my fields and I'm still loaded with them. They, along with their offspring that have never been hunted, are displaying different behavior and adapted to the environment by going nocturnal. They have also learned to jump the string, something they didn't do in the first few years. This aspect was one of my motivations for taking up LR deer hunting years ago. IMO.

Roninflag, it was with a 12 guage, about a 20 yard shot. It took him two shots to drop him, and a third to finish the job. Guy was full on in rut.

Dip**** help me put my stand up the day before season opened, and he left his blind at my tree. The next morning, he went out to set up before our Grandfather and I had even got our coveralls on. When Day light came, he was maybe 25 yards behind my stand! I had him move his *** further down the logging trail I was set up on, and sure as hell, the second day of the hunt, that big guy came right up the trail I was set up on, coming right for my stand, and he saw him and shot him lol. It's his second deer ever, and his second buck at that. This guy was actually an 11 point, one of the risers on the brow had gotten broke. Dressed out at 206, grossed like 168 1/2 I think it was. I wasn't too happy with him that weekend lol.

I met my goal for the year which was to break the 1000 yd barrier. A farmer allowed me to hunt his place, but "does" only which was fine by me. Using my 7 mag and the Hornady 162 gr aluminum tipped A-max, I popped one at 840 yds and the grand finally was 1102 yds! I'm one happy camper.

I shot this 30 inch wide buck from 906 yards with my 338 Lapua AI on my general season hunt. It was a good year.

Attachments

• 20141023_094504.jpg
    20141023_094504.jpg
    595.5 KB · Views: 61
I saw an assload in Oklahoma, but it was on 33,000 acres without much pressure. Passed on too many bucks to count, and shot a small 8 and a doe on the last day.

Had a nice 8 that I couldn't get a shot at.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.