Indiana deer hunting

Frank in the Laurels

Any recent changes to the second revision of the most idiotic, insane, misinformed deer hunting regulation in the USA ??? My grandson and family will be making their annual trip and was just wondering if they've come to their senses yet. Thanks for any new info..

Ha, interesting post. Basically you can shoot 6mm/.243 bullets, or 30cal/7.62 bullets. Nothing less, nothing in the middle, nothing more. You can shoot a .243, but not a 260. A 308 but not a 7-08. 300 weatherby, but not a 338. But yet you can pretty much shoot what ever out of a hand cannon. Yeah, it's really, really odd. But it gave me a reason to dig out the old 30/06. Pretty sure I'm done with my load development. 168gr barnes, TTSX over 55.8 gr H4350 gives me 3/4" @100.

Johnnie, You read it exactly how I read it and I agree, very weird. I wonder how long it will stand?

You can hunt with a 300RUM but not a 6.5 creedmoor. In the areas I've hunted a 300 black out is plenty, and I did not read any laws against suppressors... are they hidden in the book and I missed them??

The last I remember silencers were ileagal for hunting. I was ticked I couldn't use my 260. But I'm pretty sure I read those laws are there until 2020. I haven't meat anybody that agrees with this deal. But it is what it is. It might be a good reason to buy a new rifle.

I was told suppressors are legal now by my local shop. Dumbest caliber laws i have ever heard of.

No recent change. Dumber than ever. 6mm, 30cal, or previously legal cartridges meeting the .357 minimum diameter/1.8" max case length regs.

This is what happens when someone buys off favors in the legislature, which has no understanding of firearms whatsoever. The bill passed mad absolutely no sense with regards to defining legal rounds, and the DNR basically threw up their hands and OK'd everything in the 2 bullet diameters covered by the "cartridges" in the bill.

Like it or not, at least the previous regs were consistent with the intent to limit bullet over travel. The new ones make absolutely no sense whatsoever, for any purpose.

Personally I see more negatives than positives to the new regs. Few areas in IN you really need a rifle available by the new regs. Lots of potential for yahoos flinging rounds in highly hunter dense and house dense areas. In my current country this year we've had three incidents of high power rifle shooters hitting houses, none of them were "pistol caliber" rounds legal for hunting last year.

Yes, I'll be out with my 243AI this fall, per new regs. But I'll be using appropriate bullets unlikely to over-travel, and I'll most likely hit what I'm aiming at. The neighbors to the south already flung bullets past some of us around them with the prior "pistol calibers". Now I'll back up another 200-400 yards from that property line. Probably sit in the bottom of a ditch or behind a dirt berm dug out of a ditch.

Consistent to limit bullet travel ?????? Nothing could be further from reality !! Bullets designed not to over travel, what kind is that ???? Stunning incompetency by the agency in charge of wildlife, surely they could have done something to show the error of their thoughts... I'm almost embarrassed to be thinking about this, stunning !

Consistent to limit bullet travel ?????? Nothing could be further from reality !! Bullets designed not to over travel, what kind is that ???? Stunning incompetency by the agency in charge of wildlife, surely they could have done something to show the error of their thoughts... I'm almost embarrassed to be thinking about this, stunning !

The regs were set by the DNR to limit over-travel by limiting to shotgun, handgun, and slower large caliber rounds limited by case length (reducing case capacity). Do you believe a 44Mag really has a similar over-travel distance to a 300WM? There is nothing unique about this to Indiana, as the practice has been in place in other relatively densely populated, flat, open areas of the midwestern states for decades. It's been a reasonable modernization to accept that straight-wall pistol cartridges don't do anything modern slugs and MLs do and expand to allow them too. The place IN previously departed was to allow short bottleneck wildcats, which can reach 35 Whelen performance.

It was the ignorant legislature which gave us this Frankenstein law which allows certain diameters, regardless of what they are capable of, but not others that have similar performance. You can agree or disagree with the concept or limiting cartridges to limit range, but there is no sense whatsoever in allowing 6mm and 30cal of all flavors but no 6.5, 270, or 7mm.

Regardless of cartridge choice, if you don't think bullet selection can affect the potential for over-travel, I'm kind of speechless. There is a huge difference between how, say, a Vmax and a SMK holds together after impacting a surface.

This is what you get when people who haven't got a clue as to the subject matter write laws and regulations under law.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.