Any luck deer hunting?

Been hearing a lot here in Indiana, and apparently several other states, about deer numbers/sightings this season being way down. Out of 12 days I hunted, I saw three deer - one 8 point I couldn't get a shot at, one massive 12 pointer my little brother took, and another doe I jumped at dark leaving the field. That was it.

Anybody else experience anything like this?

I saw more deer this year in NY than I have the past 4 years...but I have heard what you are saying on other forums

Same here in NC. Had quite a bit of HD this fall, along with a huge acorn crop, so the deer didn't move much. Saw one nice 8 pt earlier in the season but not what I wanted. Decided to practice with several of my rifles out to 350-400 yards. Five does in the freezer and hope to have another one this afternoon. That will do me for the year. Then on to waterfowl. :)

I would like to add I only saw 1 mature buck though through the entire season but that is typical where I am located because everyone who sees a buck blasts it no matter the age. There are few mature bucks and the ones that live are "smart" and stay pretty much nocturnal except for early bow and during the rut.

But I saw many deer other than mature bucks. Many mature does, many yearling bucks, and fawns. I cant remember a day I sat without seeing a deer actually.

Here in PA its been slim pickings. Out of two weeks of rifle season and two days of flintlock season so far only seen two doe, and they were on the first day of buck season. Haven't seen a deer in the woods since. Seen lots while driving not hunting though.

I will say that we have had some odd weather here, too. The last weekend of firearms season here (weekend after Thanksgiving), it was about 45 degrees, and pretty **** windy. The other times I have been out, temps were right around 40 for a high, consistently, and a mix of overcast and sunny.

Having said that, after we drop off the firearms and head back out to shine to see what they are doing after dark, we had only seen a few deer out in the fields, where normally we see groups of 5-10 or better. Just seemed an odd year.

I hunt Illinois every year for the past 20 plus years and it has steadily been going down for the past 5 or so years. This year has been the worst thus far.

I did have an increase in deer success though at home in North Carolina. One buck with the bow and one with the rifle.

Everybody around here in Virginia i talked had really rough seasons.I seen a lot of deer just the bucks where almost totally nocturnal most of the season.Way to much food for them to have to get up and move.I usually see several pretty nice bucks every year.This year everyone i seen was on a trail camera before daylight or after dark on land with no pressure on it and pressure on all sides of it.An i watch them during rifle season from over 600 yards away to keep the pressure off of them.The kid i took on youth day didn't even shot one of the small bucks.We should have an awesome bow season next year with all the pics i got if they all make it through the winter.

20141116_075134.jpg

Numbers seemed down around here. A local big buck contest that goes by field dressed weight didn't have a single entry that broke 200 pounds (I believe that's the first time that's ever happened).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.