Anyone have any luck w/Rem. 700- LR rifles ?

H82MISS

I've seen on several sites some very inexpensive Remington 700 long range , heavy barrel rifles in various calibers. Never looked at one up close, but appear to have obvious rougher exterior finishes on all metal. They are selling for $660 to $750 at Cabelas stores, and seem to be built around 2014-16 time frame. I want to get nephew into long range shooting, and was thinking of picking one up in 7RM, but don't know of anyone who owns/shoots one of these. Afraid of buying one, and it shooting lousy. Just seem so cheap, "price-wise". Just wanted something decent to surprise nephew for his b'day coming up.

I am wanting to get 1 in 25-06. Remingtons seem to shoot good even the newer ones. My 22-250 SPS is a good example half inch groups with the first load I tried. If it were me I would not be afraid to get one.

Afraid of buying one, and it shooting lousy. Just seem so cheap, "price-wise". Just wanted something decent to surprise nephew for his b'day coming up.

There is always a gamble regardless of make and model. You'll find both happy and unhappy end-users. Most of the ones "I" personally know, ended up changing the trigger, had the action blueprinted and re-barreled. I'm sure whatever end up getting, your nephew will appreciate it, esp. from a nice uncle like you. Good luck!

I got lucky with mine in 30/06,,, make sure you have large hands since the B&C stocks are beefy,,, there a bit cumbersome on the hunting grounds,,, but what they lack in pack-ability,,, they make up for in accuracy...

Very solid platform,,, the factory trigger sucks,,, I replaced mine to a Jewel,,, I'm one of those fussy dudes you know. Ha...

A fellow on this forum bought a new unit that had a small issue in the chamber that got sorted out by Remington... Maybe he will chime in with his low down on how it's working out for him. I believe he did the 7mm LR.

Cheers from the North.

PS: After packing mine over 400 kms through the season,,, I can see why I want to knock 2" es off the barrel and it will go onto my Wildcat Composites Var-Tech stock for this year's hunt... Just to see what its like in the 9 ish lb mode with glass and bypod...

Thanks for the replies everyone !!!! I haven't personally owned a 700 for many years. Its just the "price tag" that makes me wonder, thats all. I wanted to look at one, put a good quality scope on it, take to the range to work up some loads with my nephew, and then give him a starter long range package to have all his own.

Yes, my Jewel supplier is waaaaay to far North for you to deal with unless your 1/2 way between Alaska and Montana. Ha...

The Remmy LR's come factory with piller bed free float,,, good idea fore sure,,, but I'm old school from the target world,,, so we zero stressed bedded it like all of our rifles... Just to make sure it stays true in the Stock over the long hual...

As I mentioned,,, make sure you handle it at the shop to make sure your pistol hand fits the palm swell since they are a bit thicker then the BDL /CDL stocks... I have big paws so it fits me nice,,, the kids like the Remmy SPS thin palm design,,, but those rubber / Plastic stocks suck goats milk... We call them garbage up here in the North...

They work good if you want to bend the rifle around a tree to shoot a Moose,,, and yes,,, the SPS stocks I'll never buy again...

The next trigger thats fairly good it the hunter class Trigger Tech... 1 to 5 lb adjustment... Mine showed up at 1 lb,,, this is ok for target shooting in my world,,, but I set it to 2 1/2 to 3 lb for free hand,,, a bit more control...

Some shooters don't like the TT's since there is Zero creep,,, its either on or off like a tuned up light switch. Ha.

That's why I turned mine up,,, a chance to feel the pull before ignition.

If a shooter has only shot the newer factory Remmy triggers from the get go,,, then you might be OK,,, but once a person uses a dialed in aftermarket set up,,, there's no going back...

Only the shooter will know this...

PS: I should mention that both of the above triggers come with different designs,,, curved,,, semi curved,,, straight ,,, and drop tilt stright along with pivot pin that let's the finger settle into the comfort zone. The more expensive models that is...

So would I buy another Remmy LR,,, my answer is no becuase the one I have will last a lifetime once all the small stuff is sorted,,, of course this goes for all rifles as we make them fit us for our needs...

I could of left mine alone out of the box,,, but I'm all about changing things from the get go,,, remove all the variables even though there really wasn't any in the way less the trigger thing for my shooting sports and hunting...

My replacement carbon fiber stock at 2.1 lbs and the chopped off barrel idea saves me roughly a 1 to 1 1/2 lbs... Much easier to pack over the rolly hills and a chance to swing the pipe in the thick of things. LOL,,, pretty sure that 2"'s won't affect the performance of harvesting power...

So yes,,, either you like or hate them,,, I'm going on to year 40 in Remington Country... Sako and Tika's are slowly showing up here in the North,,, but lots of those folks are having small issues with the plastic clips... They have aftermarket units for that... I like the triggers on them...

The Savage Acu trigger is pretty nice to...

If it breaks clean with a steady pull,,, its a thumbs up for me...

Good luck since boots on the ground is where it's at... I scored 87% on the Reloader course II today... Next week is number III... Quality reloads along with the dude behind the package makes it happen in F Class,,, same thing for PRS when I get there. Ha...

Kicking up dirt is what its all about you know. LOL

I bought 700 Rem long range about 4 years ago. Bell and Carlson stock 300 win mag and put a Night Force NXS 5.5 x22 x56 scope. never a bit of problem. I added a cheek rest. I now have a magpul stock and trying it out. no trigger problems at all. I am not sure why so many people seem to have so many problems. I also got a Remington Hunter 260 and love that one as well. Now just built an AR 10 6 5 Creedmore and several 6.5 Grendels AR 15. Several of the other bolt guns felt cheap To me. most long range rifles are built on Remington style receivers so must be some thing works good, good strong actions.

I got a stainless one for Christmas in 2016 in 300 WM. I didn't get to shoot it for a couple of months. Once I got out with it , immediately I noticed spent rounds being extremely hard to extract and binding up. Remington's Customer Service took care of me and I took the gun to an authorized Rem gunsmith. I got it back and noted the problem had subsided somewhat but was still extremely hard to extract spent rounds. Even with factory ammo. I took it back again and Remington promptly shipped me a brand new rifle. I never got a detailed explanation of what the problem was, but the new rifle shot just fine and had no extraction issues.
I carried it in elk season in 2017/2018. I did not mind the weight, but when I did mind was where the web of my hand rested (large hands) , I inadvertently bumped the safety off several times during the hunts which did it in for me.
I ended up selling it to a friend of mine that is going to use it strictly for LR Target Shooting. He seems happy with it.
I ended up buying a Tikka T3x in 300 WM for my hunt gun now.
I have a Ruger 77 in 300 WM as well for a second gun.

I've seen on several sites some very inexpensive Remington 700 long range , heavy barrel rifles in various calibers. Never looked at one up close, but appear to have obvious rougher exterior finishes on all metal. They are selling for $660 to $750 at Cabelas stores, and seem to be built around 2014-16 time frame. I want to get nephew into long range shooting, and was thinking of picking one up in 7RM, but don't know of anyone who owns/shoots one of these. Afraid of buying one, and it shooting lousy. Just seem so cheap, "price-wise". Just wanted something decent to surprise nephew for his b'day coming up.

I'm a Remington 700 lover. I have many. It obviously rubbed off on my kids also. Point being.... my youngest boy has a 700 LR in 7RM made around that same time period. The only modification has been a Timney trigger. It likes 180gr Berger VLD Hunting bullets and produces .3" groups at 100 yds consistently. Can't go wrong with a 700. Some need a little more attention than others but overall they're impressive rifles. Some better than others.

I also bought a 700 in 300wm also would not extract. Took it to Gander and they sent it in and they fixed it free, bad extractor

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts