Anyone have this combination?

I think you have a reasonable goal, however if you want a consistent 1,000yd rifle I would cut weight in the scope, mount, rings and stock before I shaved down the barrel. For example the 5-22NXS weighs 30oz where the 6-20Vx3i is only 20oz, and if you use Talley one piece rings you will save another half pound over a picatinny rail and big rings. Either way you go You will definitely need a good brake. Holland makes a very effective brake that should take the edge off the recoil. I have a 338 Win mag with a fluted #3 barrel that weighs 9lbs wearing a 4.5-14x50 vx3i it is equipped with a brake but is still not very fun to shoot. I also had a 300 Win mag with 28.5" sendero barrel that weighed 13.5lbs with a mk4 4.5-14x50. I was shooting 212eldx bullets at 3,000 without a brake and it is pleasant to shoot. That extra weight makes a world of difference in the shootability of the rifle. Even though it was less pleasant to carry the 300, it went on far more hunting trips than the 338 because I was confident I could shoot it well. To me that confidence matters more than a easier trip through the woods.

While personal preference plays heavily, for an accurate/stable shooting platform for +1000 yard shooting and hunting with a 300WM, I like a weight of 12-14#)6.5's, 1.5# less). The variance is usually the combination of the barrrel contour and scope/mounts chosen. A 1# swing between the March, AMG, Huskemaw vs.NIghtforce, all which fall within a 2.5-25x range, and, 1# swing with barrel muzzle OD's in the .75-.85" .my favorite is the Remington/Varmint contour at .83" muzzle OD, for the 300WM with a 5x25 NF ATACR at 13.5#.while on the heavy side, it feels much lighter after spending a day with my PRS competition rifle at 16,25#.

When weight matters I can get my .338 RUM to about 9 lbs. With a change in scope, mounts etc. it pushes 12.

Not really a 1000 yard game shot, or a packer/hiker these days so it stays closer to 12.

Definitely attainable. I have a 7RM that is close to your specs.
R700 LA BDL trued by Phoenix Custom Rifles
26" Bartlein #3B fluted 7mm 1:8.5" plus APA Micro Bastard brake
Manners EH-2 bedded
Timney CE @ 8oz
Seekins alloy 20MOA Picatinny Rail & Seekins 34mm low rings
S&B PMII 3-20×50
Total weight 10lbs 9oz w. cheek pad and sling

Shoots a 180 Berger Hybrid 2996fps (Not the fastest, but ridiculously accurate)
Recoil is about the same as my 10# .260 Rem without brake.

I have the same setup gun I described in original
Post above and it weighs 10.5 lbs with exception of a different scope, but I run a detachable mag system and steel rings. By switching to ultra light rings and Hawkins bottom metal I am fairly certain that I would still be in the 10.5 lb range with a NF. My current gun, a 6.5x47 with a bat tactical action and a #3 bartlien normally holds at least 1/2 Moa to 650 yards, which is farthest I have shot this gun. The gun has shot multiple sub inch groups at 300 yards. I guess my question was if I could achieve the same thing with a 300 win mag in this style setup and be able to maintain control of the larger caliber rifle with a brake and shoot it accurately to 1000 yards I would describe it as the best hunting gun I could possess. I am am really seeing here a common theme of 12 lb guns from everyone's replies, which really puts one in the Remington sendero Contour of barrel. A mcmillan hunter stock cannot be opened any more than the number 3 bartlien there just isn't any material left to remove. It would be best to jump up to the Remington hunter which is the same style stock but allowing for a heavy barrel channel. Just not sure what the right way to go is. Thanks for everyone's input so far.
Brandon

As to rifle weight, I've heard is said on this site that ALL advantages go to the heavier rifle - except weight. Pretty good way to explain it. I won't say you can't hit a game animal at 1000 yards from a field rest with a 10 lb rifle but you will hit it more consistently with a 12 lb rifle all other things being equal. Also, kind of along the lines of what 300Whisper said - carrying a 12 lb rifle versus an 10 lb rifle gives you a free workout and if the rifle is well balanced you won't really notice the difference.

Does anyone have the Mcmillan Remington Hunter stock with a Remington varmint Contour barrel? How does the stock balance with standard fill?

Does anyone have the Mcmillan Remington Hunter stock with a Remington varmint Contour barrel? How does the stock balance with standard fill?

I had one back in 2010. I sold it. I regret it almost everyday...anyway balance was fine, right in front of the mag well, but it was pretty heavy if you were to carry it one handed like that.

Specs were Stiller predator short action
Broughton 5C 24 inch barrel #7 weight
Mcmillan standard fill, HTG, adjustable cheek piece

9860AAE4-3E45-4050-9338-B8BA34BD4D18.jpeg

I have a R700 LA BDL w. 28" Rock Creek Rem Varmint spiral fluted plus brake in a McMillan Adjustable Game Warden w. Standard fill. Rifle is a 14# pig, but is an exceptional shooter. Still front heavy, but recoil is straight back, not much rise at all.

My 300 Win Mag is close to what you're wanting. Borden action,Brux #3,Holland brake,Mcmillan Game Scout, jewel trigger,Tally rings, NF SHV. Finished at 10 lb 2oz. Shoots 215 bergers right at 3000 fps.

I feel that a really good tactical sling can make it hard to tell the difference between a 12 lb or a 14 lb rifle. Keep it tight to your body so it doesn't flop around, and it packs pretty well.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.