Any experts in the 300 to 338 class calibers please read

Mbogo

Rifle will be used to hunt a wide range of animals with deferent levels of "toughness" from mule deer, elk, black bears, to tough old Billy goats and everything in-between AT DISTANCE

Aight boys im about to build a long range hunting setup and have run into some dead ends on several issues. I'm using a Winchester model 70 action on more than likely a McMillan stock. Need some help choosing Barrel, optics to a certain degree, and more than anything the caliber. This is going to be a hard core hunting rig so all the "fancy" "pretty" stuff doesn't have a place on this build. That having been said, weight is also an issue. nothing over 10 lbs and as far from it as possible is a must due to the areas im going to be hunting. im going to install a break and am use to big bore rifles so recoil isn't an issue LIGHTER THE BETTER!

Optic: something under 2k that will make him look like he's in my face out to 500 yrd but that will zoom out well enough to be used at within 100 yrds, also something that can hold up to extreme elements and most importantly can handle the abuse of mountain hunting and not get bumped off easily

Barrel: something rugged, as light as it can be without sacrificing accuracy

Caliber: this is the part where I am completely stumped. In America we believe that big bullets don't kill animals as good as well placed shots. The guys ive hunted with in Africa are the exact opposite. They say pound his *** with the biggest caliber you can handle due to the dangerous game/thick skinned plains game. I want both. I want to be able to reach out and touch him at distance but also be able to knock the crap out of what im shootin at. This will allow an occasional not so perfect shot at distance while reducing the chance of losing the animal. I am a huge fan of the 338 class calibers. I have a 338 win mag and love it buts its just not a long range caliber. I am interested in the 338 lapua or the 338 rem mag. I have heard of a 338 Allen cartridge and the 330 Dakota round but know nothing about them. I would consider a 300 wsm but nothing under that. Like I said I want to hit em with something hard. If anyone knows of a caliber smaller that still hits as hard as the class of calibers listed above definitely throw it out there. However I am really looking for something in the 300 to 338 class. I was told this was the place to go for expert advice so im looking forward to any and all comments

1. If you're used to shooting big bore rifles, you shouldn't need a brake in a lesser cartridge even in a light rifle but, of course, that's up to you.

2. I've never had a .338 caliber rifle but if I were to ever be tempted in that direction it would be the 338 Lapua Magnum. Regarding long range .308 caliber rifles, I would go, actually have gone with, a 300 Winchester Magnum or a 300 Weatherby Magnum. In my opinion, the 300 WSM, 300 RCM and the like solved a problem that didn't exist for most hunters.

You could also consider the 300 RUM or the 30/378 Weatherby Magnum but I don't think the little bit of extra performance you get out of them is worth the cost of reloading components.

3. Effectiveness on big game obviously depends more on shot placement than anything else. The particular bullet and load is also important. Some South African hunters I'm sure go with the big bore theory but I don't think they're in the majority. I hunted with one PH that did a lot of culling of things like Blue Wildebeest, Zebra, etc. and guess what he used for a lot of it? A 22-250 that was on its 3rd barrel. In an accurate rifle with an accurate rifleman, any of the above cartridges would do what you want them to do.

I would do a 300 rum. Ive done the edge and i just didnt see enough ballistic advantage over the rum to justify it. But if u need a edge then by all means do one of them you will be happy either way

Anything in North America under 1k use any 300 Magnum launching 200gr minimum bullets at 2900+ fps.
Anything in North America over 1k use a big 338 launching 300 gr pills.

Advantages
300 less recoil, cheaper to shoot, widest bullet selection of ANY caliber.
338 higher BC, Less wind drift, hits harder, better all round for 1k+.

If weight is of major concern, you may not want to shoot past 1k.

I'm no "expert" tho.

I'd say a .338 RUM, .338 Edge, .338 Lapua, or a .375 RUM/.375-.338 Lapua/.375AX if recoil isn't a issue. I'd try to shoot the 260gr Cutting Edge bullets with the .338's and the 300gr to 330gr bullets in the .375's. The same principles apply here as in Africa.....big bullets kill better but you have to be able to hit things first so accuracy is still the #1 consideration for shooting long range. Now that the big bores have good high BC bullets like those from CEB I think you'll see more people shooting them. The only down side to them is recoil but since your use to recoil GO BIG.

For a barrel I'd go Krieger or Broughton in a sporter contour with a .750 muzzle diameter as a minimum.

Because you have a weight maximum you'll most likely have to stay away from Nightforce for a scope. They are heavy. The new Leupold VX6 might be a consideration because of the 6x zoom. Swarovski has a 6x scope as well.

Not an expert opinion here but some experience in rebarelling actions from 6.5's to 338RUM and even a 375 Ruger with barrels from Hart, Douglas, Brux, Shilen and PacNor.

If I were going to try to narrow it down to one gun for hunting speed goats to Moose or if all my guns disappeared and I didn't want to go through the long process of multiple calibers, then this is what I would do

300 win mag with no muzzle brake, don't like 'em and don't need 'em. Like to be able to shoot without looking for my ear muffs and like hearing music. My 338RUM and 375 Ruger are over your weight limit but even they do not have muzzle brakes.

200 gr Accubond at 2900 fps will get it done close or out as far as you need to shoot at game, hell even a 180 gr TTSX at 3100 fps will do whatever you need done with good shot placement

24" #4 contour 3 groove PacNor barrel

Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x44 RapidZ 800 scope

Should be around 8# and if you need to save weight get a McMillan Edge stock

Rifle will be used to hunt a wide range of animals with deferent levels of "toughness" from mule deer, elk, black bears, to tough old Billy goats and everything in-between AT DISTANCE

Aight boys im about to build a long range hunting setup and have run into some dead ends on several issues. I'm using a Winchester model 70 action on more than likely a McMillan stock. Need some help choosing Barrel, optics to a certain degree, and more than anything the caliber. This is going to be a hard core hunting rig so all the "fancy" "pretty" stuff doesn't have a place on this build. That having been said, weight is also an issue. nothing over 10 lbs and as far from it as possible is a must due to the areas im going to be hunting. im going to install a break and am use to big bore rifles so recoil isn't an issue LIGHTER THE BETTER!

Optic: something under 2k that will make him look like he's in my face out to 500 yrd but that will zoom out well enough to be used at within 100 yrds, also something that can hold up to extreme elements and most importantly can handle the abuse of mountain hunting and not get bumped off easily

Barrel: something rugged, as light as it can be without sacrificing accuracy

Caliber: this is the part where I am completely stumped. In America we believe that big bullets don't kill animals as good as well placed shots. The guys ive hunted with in Africa are the exact opposite. They say pound his *** with the biggest caliber you can handle due to the dangerous game/thick skinned plains game. I want both. I want to be able to reach out and touch him at distance but also be able to knock the crap out of what im shootin at. This will allow an occasional not so perfect shot at distance while reducing the chance of losing the animal. I am a huge fan of the 338 class calibers. I have a 338 win mag and love it buts its just not a long range caliber. I am interested in the 338 lapua or the 338 rem mag. I have heard of a 338 Allen cartridge and the 330 Dakota round but know nothing about them. I would consider a 300 wsm but nothing under that. Like I said I want to hit em with something hard. If anyone knows of a caliber smaller that still hits as hard as the class of calibers listed above definitely throw it out there. However I am really looking for something in the 300 to 338 class. I was told this was the place to go for expert advice so im looking forward to any and all comments

I don't think you have a clue what you want, or what your stepping into.

You want a light rifle yet you pick the heaviest factory action to build it on. why?

You didn't say how far you will actually shoot, but said the scope had to make them look right up in your face at 500 yards. So is this how far you plan on shooting for a max range?

So in reality nothing over 10lbs? your average LR scope and bipod is going to weight 2.5-3 lbs so now you want a rifle only at 7 lbs.??

Whats the point of building a 300 or 338 ultra magnum LR gun with a 24" #3 contour barrel? because thats all it will be to make the weight your requesting.

If you think this is going to be a 500 yard or under gun sure a 7lb rifle will work, but then put it in a cartridge appropriate for that range, and that petite of a rifle.

What your expressing is the dream of every neophyte that wants to get into LRH.

Build a 12-14lb packaged gun, if you want to shoot to 1000 yards.
If you want a light 500 yard poke and pray gun your on the wrong forum.

There is your expert advice.:)

Do a search on the user name sp6x6 and I think you'll find the rifle your looking for!!!! Light weight 338 Norma mag gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.