Another which cartridges thread

Well my two choices are a 7mm-08 or a 260, I know most will suggest the 6.5CM but the 260 is another good option with quality brass and ballistics to match. I own both cartridges I'm suggesting and love the mild recoil and performance on game. Also used to own and shoot a 300wsm and let it go down the road due to heavy recoil in a light gun. One 7mm-08 has a brake and it is very tame for recoil.

Don't consider myself a recoil wimp but when I'm shooting for groups the light kickers are the easiest to tune out recoil and really shoot bugholes. If I'm shooting at game I never feel the recoil at all :) Hope you heal quickly and get a fun gun to shoot :)

I don't think you can go wrong with the creedmore. I know most hate it based on false claims and way to much hype. But at the end of the day it is a great cartridge not just for people with back problems. My creed is my go to hunting rifle. Loaded with 124 hammers and it's brought down more game than I care to type out.
And if I can't reload I have lots of great factory ammo. Only thing I see on the shelves more in the class your looking is .243.

If you like the 6.5's the Grendel is an awesome cartridge. Super accurate and good availability of ammo, usually. For hunting white tails and targets, they're top shelf. Very little recoil and easy to load.
Good luck on the recovery.

Hello fellow members I have a small question that I know a lot of people will start with some hate but I recently had back surgery still in the recovery stages talked to my doctor/surgen about shooting guns again while this man enjoys the same sport he told me to stick with lighter recoiling guns I have a few guns none with a brake he said recoil might be alittle to much the guns are as following
.280 rem
338 win mag
300 wsm
325 wsm

so now I finally get to my question I'm wanting to buy or build a rifle that is lightweight but not heavy on recoil been really thinking hard about a 6.5x47 or creedmore or a 6.5 sst or 6.5 ss but with all this crazy COVID crap brass powder and everything is crazy to find which would be a better option keeping all this in mind I will just be plinking and hunting white tails

TIA

Lightweight and light recoil are not synonymous despite what some may believe. If I were looking for what you have asked about I would be looking at .243 Winchester or perhaps one of the .25 caliber cartridges. I've read on this forum many times where people talk about the "light" recoil of the 6.5 Creedmoor, I strongly suggest that you try shooting one before building one. From the list of guns that you have provided, the .338 WinMag will rattle the fillings out of your teeth as will the 300WSM and the 325WSM, the .280Rem is on the same playing field as a 30-06, I don't think that this list is what your doctor was talking about. Oftentimes people do not equate that more powder = more weight = more recoil! Again the .243 Winchester, most of the .25 calibers, the .260/6mms will more than fulfill your whitetail deer hunting and your plinking needs.

I'm curious if the Man Bun comes in the box with the rifle Lol, and if it matches your hair color. What if you bald? Lol
The Creed will actually make your hair grow back!

I'm another 7mm-08 proponent. Put a break/brake on it and it's a dream to shoot, I'm building one for my kids right now. Load it up with the light bullets until you are comfortable and know things are going to be good, then load it up with the heavier bullets for hunting.

Just keep your eyes open for a good deal on a proof elevation rifle. They are big horn origin actions so u can just order prefits for them also. They are very slick rifles and light weight!
A7F6D099-DB5D-40AD-B83B-FA2D479B418C.jpeg
5947D899-6C99-4742-A7A5-A22859825C25.jpeg

The 7mm/08 is a great round with not bad recoil. Will do anything the 270 will do with less powder and recoil. JMO Best of luck on your recovery
The 270 will do about anything you want. A muzzle brake will do wonders. A muzzle brake on your 338 Win Mag would change things greatly. I have a shoulder I shoot from replaced last year. See you have a 338 WM. It my go to rifle presently Do what the doctor tell you to get well.

6.5 Creedmoor is great, I own one, but for my money 7 mm-08 all the way. I find the 6.5 recoil at least as much as the 7 and I like the bigger bullet diameter

My back surgeon told me the same thing. I am fused now from L3 down to S1. all my rifles are braked now, but my favorite is the 6.5 SAUM with a Lil Bastard Brake. My 8 and 9 year old grandsons shoot it and love it. They also love to shoot the 6mmCreedmoor with Lil Bastard Brake. No recoil, super accurate.

This the thing with recoil questions, what I think is mild may just be the upper limit for someone else.
His is why I recommended the 22-250 or similar to START with, then moving up to a 6.5x47.
I have never fired another 6.5x47 other than my own, recoil is negligible in my rifle, it weighs 15+lbs.
I had no choice but to sell all my big bores, 458 Lott, 404 Jeffrey and 505 Gibbs due to a neck injury at work. I kept my 416 Rigby, but it only gets used on water buff, maybe twice a year now. Recoil on that to me is a big push, my 375 Bee kicks way harder, but for nostalgia reasons I will keep it.
Just go slowly when you start shooting again. I started with 10 rounds total for the first half dozen outings, then 20 for a few more then I moved up the 6.5x47 and shot a mid range match to see how I was doing, my technique had changed and my shooting was awful to say the least. Took some time to get back in the groove as my right arm is no longer attached to my shoulder blade, had both ends of the shoulder blade and collar bone removed, they now float independent of each other.

Cheers.

Well my friend I feel your pain! Pardon the pun. I have 3 artificial disks in my neck and a four level fusion in my thoracic.

I started off with a light .243 win no break. I bought a 6mm CM for the faster factory twist (no break) so I could shoot the Hammer Hunters I wanted. Both are very tolerable/mild. While in that process I was having a 6.5 SST being built for me. Well I just recently got the barreled action back and dropped it in an old stock, while my new one is being built as I write this. I had my smith put on a Little Bastard 3rd gen break on it. Let me say I have fallen in love with that rifle/bullet combo. Very, Very light recoil! For your purpose, I highly suggest a similar setup. Remember if you go copper you will need a faster twist due to the length of the bullet. I should add, the hammers are amazing with terminal performance. I can't wait to get the stock so I can hand load up some perfect cartridges! Good luck with your back and quest!

IMHO the 6.5 SST & Hammer combination will be hard to beat for guys in our situation. Thanks to all on this board, many blessings and gratitude!

everyone has helped with the comments and now the list grew some I have a lot of thinking to do but I leaning towards the Sherman line just to have something different unless a good deal comes thru on something I'm already set up to reloads mostly all my guns I have 1000 162gr amax for the 7mm so that is a big plus but maybe a 6mm or 25 cal could be on the works

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts