Just another hammer thread

snox801

Well just got back from Texas on a audad hunt using the 124 hammer in a 6.5 creed. I ended up getting close enough to not be considered long range.
Well I placed the shot right behind the front shoulder lower on body to catch heart. He was quartering away so it went in behind should exiting the far shoulder. He made it less than 20 yards. Good thing cause the heart was gone which left nothing to pump blood for a trail. I saw him right away so didn't spend much time looking for a trial of blood. Also took a pig at 300 yards and bullet made a mess and dropped it in its tracks.
So far I haven't found any thing I don't like about hammers. The 178 sledge hammer in .358 also took a dandy whitetail while in Texas. That work as expected. Nothing left functioning inside and two broken shoulders. Still minimum meat lose.

I think your audad may be the first to get Hammered. If there are any others I don't know about them.

I am living totally vicariously here. Someday I hope to get to hunt Audad. I can say that a bullet I had in my hands took and audad.

Nice job!
Well, if that happens, let's load it in a SS and invite Rich:D

I'm testing Steves Bullets now in my 6.5 Creed. The 117 Sledges shoot .5 in my rifle. I have some 124 Hunters ready to test. SNOX, whats your 6.5 load with the 124gr?

Cant wait to try the new .224 84gr in my .22 Creed when its finished

GREAT BULLETS !!!!!

Just started testing the 124's for my 6.5 CM. Did a ladder test with H4350 out of a 28in barrel. Couldn't get velocity readings as my Chrony decided to act weird.
Started at 43.1 gr to 44.9 gr.
I have to say...the Hammers were not picky as regards to powder change. Nice tight group. But I was only shootong 100 target.
My batch of 124's actually weighed 126.2 avg gr. All weighed from 126.12 to 126.26.
I like these bullets!

Ya hammer don't care what charge you use all mine from min where one ragged hole well under .5".
I'm currently at 39.8gr of varget with no pressure at all. I just ran out of time and weather to finish the load before I left. I'm just shy of 2900fps with that load and should be somewhere in the mid 2900 to 3000 with this round. I just thought I would see pressure around 40gr but saw nothing. So I'll keep going.
You should ah e seen what that .358 sledge hammer did to that deer. He's pushing that one really slow at 2868fps

Over the last 3 years we have made small changes to the material and process that added up to about 2g or so increase on most of the bullet line. We didn't want to change the names of the bullets. These changes took place a couple of years ago.

One of these days when there is nothing to do I will post the actual weight of each bullet.

Steve what is the true weight of the 124gr hammer? Just curios as wouldn't that effect the weight we need to punch into our programs? I see 126 but wondering if that's what you guys had as well.

Yes. Punch that into your calculator at 124g and then 126g and see what kind of diff it makes. I'll be interested to see what comes up.

I just got my 101gr hammer hunters in the mail today!! Gonna give them a go in the new 6mm creedmoor I'm having built. Thinkin' of ordering the 88gr hammer hunters also.... The rifle will be my new long range blacktail rig. Won't be finished till April or may though....

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts