Another 270 thread sherman short

IndianaMatt

I have been wanting to build a short action magnum for a while. I like to swim against the tide so I decided on .270 WSM. I tired to cure the illness by purchasing a .270 WSM 700 SPS. All I have to say is YUCK. It was $650 spent on an action and bottom metal the rest of the rifle is junk.

So now I have a short mag action and Remington bottom metal. I was going to move forward with the WSM but then I started looking at the Sherman Short Mag... down the rabbit hole we go.

So now I'm thinking a Short handy "mountain" rifle in .270 Sherman Short Mag. A 22 inch Lilja 3 groove tube in a 8 twist, Wyatt's magazine, and a hunting style stock. I'm still undecided on Greyboe, MC3, or B&C. I'd like to run a reasonable optic something simple and lightweight in Talley mounts. Some small muzzle break and a rifle basix trigger.

What's everyone's thought on this? I have never used a caliber I couldn't get on Midway and buy ammo for. I haven't used anything moderately close to a wildcat. I have emailed with Rich and Berger and gotten good info from them. I'm hoping I don't get in over my head on the reloading part. I'm also hoping I don't end up with a rifle I don't like again.

Opinions?

I should add what the purpose of the rifle is and my expectations of it.

It will be a walking around hunting rifle. I think the term pack rifle is over used but that's what I'm looking for. It will be a tool not a show piece. It will be used on deer and antelope. Possibly an elk or bear if I ever get a chance.

I expect the rifle to shoot well but not necessarily a single hole type rifle. Maybe .5 MOA I think that is reasonable.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.