Another which one quandary

muleyman

Alright, here we go. I'm really torn on which direction to go with this.

I've tossed around the idea of a 300 win mag build but I really want to push the 200 grain class bullets to around 3050-3100fps. Without using a six foot tube is this possible in something more like 27" or so. My other thought was doing something along the lines of a 30 STW or 30-8mm mag, which ever it goes by. I'm not really looking at having to fire form cases as I already have a couple of those.

Here's where I get stubborn. I know the 300 weatherby is exactly the numbers I'd be looking for but I just can't do it. Nothing against 'em, I just plain don't want one, (why I don't know). The other issue is, I could just down load the 300 RUM but I've never been able to do that. If it says "Magnum" on the thing, I can't help myself and always seem to want to make it shoot that way.

It would be off of a Rem 700 mag action, so I'm not sure about overall lengths and such just yet so I am asking for advice. I really want to stick to a 308 cal using the 200 to 210 grain bullets. Thanks in advance for the help as my forehead is getting sore from pounding it against the wall.........

Necking the 8mm rem mag is what people have done since the 70's to get 300 wby performance with cheap remington brass. It is an excellent chambering and very accurate. I would do a 300 RUM if I were you. You can get 3100 fps with the 200-210 bullets and long brass life in a 26" barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.