Another Barrel Cooling Thread But I had to, couldn't help myself...

Muddyboots

Been using heavy duty bait aerator to cool barrels for probably 20 years. It died last week. In Wally World picking up some camping stuff and right there was a battery powered mattress inflator. This thing moves a lot of air! 420 L/min is pretty good and a lot more than what my bait aerator could do. Works great! Just don't know how long the 6 C batteries will hold up. But if it keeps barrels cooled down its a win. They do have a 12V one too but I do not have access on range to truck. If batteries become problem I may look into a small dry cell 12V as alternative. Price? $12! Just add tygon and let it rip!
IMG_5436.JPG
IMG_5437.JPG

Been using heavy duty bait aerator to cool barrels for probably 20 years. It died last week. In Wally World picking up some camping stuff and right there was a battery powered mattress inflator. This thing moves a lot of air! 420 L/min is pretty good and a lot more than what my bait aerator could do. Works great! Just don't know how long the 6 C batteries will hold up. But if it keeps barrels cooled down its a win. They do have a 12V one too but I do not have access on range to truck. If batteries become problem I may look into a small dry cell 12V as alternative. Price? $12! Just add tygon and let it rip!
View attachment 297596View attachment 297597
Mine goes through 4 C size batteries pretty quickly

I use a "Barrel Cool" it's small, fits in the chamber and acts likes an OPEN Chamber Marker. Uses Lithium 123 batteries and they last a real long time. I have rechargeable Lithium 123 batteries so not a cost factor. Cools barrel down well when using between targets. One thing that I will say is that is using any kind of a "blown air system" you need to look at conditions around you. If you are in a dusty area you will be blowing dust down your barrel. Dust is very fine and can act like an abrasive when shooting a bullet down the barrel. At times when I do use a "Barrel Cool" between loads or other rifles, I use a dust filter media over the intake for the air system to insure that I am having clean air blown down my barrel. You may not think that there is much dust in the air, but if you were ever to a PRS Match or other Matches you know what I am talking about.

Attachments

• Barrel Cool.jpg
    Barrel Cool.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 163
  • Barrewl Cool Speck.jpg
    Barrewl Cool Speck.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 162
I use a 12V hobby fuel pump for pumping/filling nitro cars/boats/planes through a wound copper winding that slides over the barrel.
I use straight methanol and it cools a barrel very fast.
I don't actually use it that often anymore as I prefer to clean between matches with a warm barrel these days.
A gallon of methanol will be fully cooled within about 10 minutes after taking a barrel down to the methanol temp, which is less than ambient air temperature.

Cheers.

I use a "Barrel Cool" it's small, fits in the chamber and acts likes an OPEN Chamber Marker. Uses Lithium 123 batteries and they last a real long time. I have rechargeable Lithium 123 batteries so not a cost factor. Cools barrel down well when using between targets. One thing that I will say is that is using any kind of a "blown air system" you need to look at conditions around you. If you are in a dusty area you will be blowing dust down your barrel. Dust is very fine and can act like an abrasive when shooting a bullet down the barrel. At times when I do use a "Barrel Cool" between loads or other rifles, I use a dust filter media over the intake for the air system to insure that I am having clean air blown down my barrel. You may not think that there is much dust in the air, but if you were ever to a PRS Match or other Matches you know what I am talking about.

Here in the AZ desert all there is is dust, and wind, so it could be an issue here.

Kinda hard to see in the pic but I made the exact same thing a couple years ago And it works pretty good. i Wouldn't say it goes through batteries all that much, but maybe I don't use as much as others.

Attachments

• FCDE6B8A-C64A-472D-ACBA-49C189EB0E82.jpeg
    FCDE6B8A-C64A-472D-ACBA-49C189EB0E82.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 235
I made this 9 years ago, still cools great. No issues with batteries going quickly. I've posted a pic of this several times on this forum. Built it after seeing a guy at the range throw a wet towel out of his ice chest on a very hot barrel.

Attachments

• 6231A0AA-01A1-4B9F-B920-132AC326C6FD.jpeg
    6231A0AA-01A1-4B9F-B920-132AC326C6FD.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 320
I tried the wet towel approach which IMO is better than an air pump, but both methods are too slow.

I use CO2 when I have to work up a load and don't want to spend the whole day waiting for the barrel to cool to ambient temp repeatedly as I test quite a few rounds. With careful monitoring the barrel begins to cool then CO2 is stopped but cooling continues as the cooler inside radiates to outside of barrel. I can get it back to ambient temperature in less than a minute.

Just a thought, I was changing the propane tank on my forklift and had a slight leak at the O-ring at the connection. It was mighty cold at the leak.
I pay $2.00 a gallon for propane, beats the price of CO2.
Darn you can not only have a rifle, but a "FLAME THROWER" also.
Please don't use propane.