Barrel cooling time

When at the range in the summer, I will shoot one rifle, 10 to 15 shots, 5 shot groups, with time between them. Then I remove the bolt and set it in my car with the air on and blowing over the barrel and through the bore. It goes from hot to cold pretty quickly. I shoot another rifle and swap them out. I use the time between groups to center myself mentally, it makes for better shooting.

My gunsmith told me to put my hand on the barrel in front of the scope. If I couldn't hold my hand there comfortably the barrel was too hot. Time will vary between barrel profile, ambient temp and how much powder I'm burning. For the smokeless muzzleloader I have seen guys get an aluminum rod that is slightly less than bore dia and keep that in an ice water bath. If the barrel gets hot, dry the rod off, stick in the barrel to cool it down.

Centerfire I put in the run rack, bolt open, in the shade and let the barrel act like a chimney to help cool it off.

If you use a Labradar, it goes into a sleep mode with the light turning blue in four minutes, which is plenty of time for all but my lightest barrels.

It depends on what you are looking for. In a hunting rifle I shoot 3 in a row looking for first shot and follow up shot consistency. After 3 shots let it cool way down, takes 15min. If you are shooting a PRS or Silhouette competition rifle then shoot at least 5 shots right in a row to check grouping. When in a match there is no time to wait and cool your barrel so why do it when group testing. Not sure the pace of shooting in a bench rest match and in F class you get a little time between shots. Match your shooting pace to the rifles intended use.
^^^ Agreed.

I'm going to start shooting F class soon with my new build, a Rem 700 .308. Plan on sighting in, breaking in then shooting it like I would have to in a typical F class pace and shot count. I don't want any surprises when I'm competing, so see what it does in actual practice. Makes logical sense.

---

I use a chamber chiller between shot strings. The worst offender in my safe is the 338LM, that barrel gets hot very quickly and w/o help, stays hot. I brushed my hand against the barrel after a 10 shot string and it was most uncomfortable; hence, the chiller. My straight tube, no taper, 25-06 takes a bit to get hot but the chiller helps mitigate the issue and they double as an "empty chamber" indicator. The range personnel appreciates this no end.

So are we saying barrel "cooling" time or "cooking" time? You can get overly anal over this or just cool it down using whatever means that works for you. I have used battery powered pumps for 25+ years effectively to reduce barrel temperature. It works. Take your pick on what to use.

Recent Posts