Cooling a barrel šŸ¤”

Meanwhile in Phoenix, barrel cooling doesn't seem to work.

Attachments

• 6rYEHs.gif
    6rYEHs.gif
    1.6 MB · Views: 41
Mike Matteson,

I read your comments and as I was reading along it hit me. Hey that guy is copying word for word what I had said in the past! Then I realized what you did. LOL As to where you found it I don't know guessing another site had a different poster mention it and added a line....it is on page one of this thread except for this: "Need a bore guide for the uses. (Run your tubing from the CO2 tank into an un-ported Delrin bore bore guide for ease of application."

I never used a bore guide, just cut the tube's end to a taper so it would wedge into the end of the chamber.

Will add that I don't use it all the time. Often let the rifle cool. But when I am developing a load especially in hotter weather it sure speeds up the process!

Last edited:
So when do you all stop shooting at the range? For me in the winter that could be 25 shots, summer as few as 10. Ambient temps have a lot to do with it. Im talking non competition fun time. I stop when the barrel is uncomfortably hot to touch. Pdog shooting is a different animal. Usually 25 and cool after a few hours the barrels are really hot. I go with the expectation of changing the barrel after 5 or 6 days. The barrels are all heavy varmint type

I never have used water, I use air, but I don't see how it is a such a terrible thing. Shooting a barrel we aren't taking the temps that high. Wouldn't taking a ice cold barrel and subjecting it to the instantaneous pressure and heat of firing a round be just as bad then?

Has there ever been any scientific testing to show it is harmful or not?
Yep I've never seen a rifle barrel (in civilian use) glowing red hot.

I don't see how a cold, wet towel is any more damaging than any other method used.

Yep I've never seen a rifle barrel (in civilian use) glowing red hot.

I don't see how a cold, wet towel is any more damaging than any other method used.
I do not think it damages anything, I have a Chem E shooting friend and he uses the canned air to cool his down (the one for cleaning electronics). The long range shooters clean hot barrels on their ultra accurate rifles with no damage. A patch wet with a volatile solvent cannot be much different than a wet rag (I know, the wet rag covers much more surface area).

Recent Posts