New build....had to find out for myself

mountainman56

I said I wouldn't, I've had many very experienced people tell me not to, but I've gone and done it anyway. Carbon fiber barrels seem to be the latest trend but I managed to avoid them until my good friend expressed an interest in having one on his rifle.

After a lot of research I decided to try a Carbonsix barrel in their featherweight contour. Since I'd gone down the rabbit hole anyway I ordered it threaded for my receiver and pre-chambered in 300 WM. When I ordered the barrel their site said 8 weeks lead time but shortly thereafter changed to 11 weeks. Delivery actually was a little over 11 weeks but customer service was very satisfactory and any and all questions were answered promptly.

Upon arrival inspection revealed extremely nice work with a beautifully cut chamber. I wrongly assumed it would be short chambered but it threaded onto a Stiller Predator action and headspaced perfectly. The only problem putting the rifle together was coming up with a stock to fit. The Carbonsix featherweight contour is pretty much a straight taper from 1.2" to .750 at the muzzle. I have a H&S Sendero I stock but I would have had to remove material about midway in the barrel channel. Plus at 37.5 ounces is not exactly lightweight. Ideally I wanted a McMillan Edge built for this barrel but the lead time on that is prohibitive. I am still searching for the stock I want but in the meantime it was Boyd's to the rescue. I have always had good luck with Boyd's stocks (their poor packaging aside) and this was no exception. A prairie hunter with sendero contour arrived in 8 days. Pillar bedded, barrel channel modified and with all the material I dared remove from the interior of the buttstock it weighs in at 33.5 oz. including a 1" Pachmayr recoil pad. Topped off with Talley one piece rings and bases and a 3-10 x 42 Swarovsky and an ugly 3+ oz brake the entire package weighs in at 8.5 lbs. Not exactly lightweight but will have to do till a proper stock is selected.

At this point all I have done is the barrel break in but initial results are looking favorable indeed. Will it shoot better than a $350 barrel of similar weight, the jury will be out on that for some time. I'm not sure I like the mass of the barrel as it does limit the stock options for lightweight builds, however my beautiful bride informs me is a "manly looking rifle". :rolleyes: Hopefully it's a manly looking rifle that shoots little tiny bugholes.

Attachments

• carbonsix barrel.jpg
    carbonsix barrel.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 870
Last edited:
Thanks rfurman, I've been looking at Stocky's carbon stocks and they are on the list.

Got to shoot it this afternoon. Center group is 200 gr ELD-X's and top right is my favorite hunting round with 200 grain accubonds. Both of them stuck two practically in the same hole with one flyer. Looks like I have some work left. First I'm going to check the barrel channel and make sure it's not touching somewhere. I guess then I'll start playing with seating depth. Of course there's only 26 rounds down the pipe at this time so may take a while to come into it's own. The other 300 I built Jeff had about 100 rounds before it really started to shine.

Thanks for your kind comments guys. I'm starting to like it the way it is, balances really nice. Of course it will be up to Jeff in the long run.

Attachments

• Carbon2.jpg
    Carbon2.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
What brake are you using?

I actually have no idea, it was a brake I took off another rifle I bought as a donor. It is a stainless 3 port and is quite heavy at 3.5oz. I expect I will replace it soon with something lighter, although it does match the stainless on the barrel nicely and works quite well.

Been a long time between shots, work keeps interfering with my fun. Looks like it's going to be something I can work with. Shot to the left was out of a cold clean bore. At this point I'm pretty pleased. :)

Attachments

• carbon3.JPG
    carbon3.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 280
I to just did a carbon barrel from proof. Lightweight 6.5 creed 6.4 lbs with a bushnell elite 2.5-16 scope. I did the manners eh5 stock. The thumbhole added weight but it very light and shoots incredibly well. I did a ti action and bolt and magpul bottom plastic. I was unsure of the carbon barrel but I'm digging it now.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.