Announcing the New Hammer HHT

Now you guys got me thinking…be an interesting experiment to have bullets made to be DELIBERATELY non concentric by varying degrees and see how much it affects things, and if it does (surely it must?) is there a point under which it doesn't matter? Like if point of a turned copper solid is actually a few thousandths deviated from true centre vs a few tens of thousands…is the relationship linear? The more "out of round" the less accurate…or maybe there's some surprises to be had 🤣

Now you guys got me thinking…be an interesting experiment to have bullets made to be DELIBERATELY non concentric by varying degrees and see how much it affects things, and if it does (surely it must?) is there a point under which it doesn't matter? Like if point of a turned copper solid is actually a few thousandths deviated from true centre vs a few tens of thousands…is the relationship linear? The more "out of round" the less accurate…or maybe there's some surprises to be had 🤣
I started tipping .375 425gr Cutting Edge projectiles well before they released their Lazer line to help with terminal performance

I made the MTH HP deeper by 2+ times & enlarged the diameter to accept the early Hornady V-Max "melty" tips

This was done a wee bit agriculturally in a lathe which resulted in a few blemish's, off set/bent/loose tips, too big a flat causing a step under the tip etc

These projectiles still shot just as accurately as the "perfect" ones I made or the untouched ones at 2K yards

What I noticed was the tipped ones were constantly 2 moa lower impact at distance even though they were slightly lighter & faster with the same zero

My conclusion was I had reduced the BC by tipping them

Not really the same thing but F-Class John did a video on bullet run out that's pretty interesting.

I started tipping .375 425gr Cutting Edge projectiles well before they released their Lazer line to help with terminal performance

I made the MTH HP deeper by 2+ times & enlarged the diameter to accept the early Hornady V-Max "melty" tips

This was done a wee bit agriculturally in a lathe which resulted in a few blemish's, off set/bent/loose tips, too big a flat causing a step under the tip etc

These projectiles still shot just as accurately as the "perfect" ones I made or the untouched ones at 2K yards

What I noticed was the tipped ones were constantly 2 moa lower impact at distance even though they were slightly lighter & faster with the same zero

I like that "a wee bit agriculturally ". Nice way of saying rednecked!! I can say that cause I are one!!

Actually, Fordy and friends intentionally distressed the tips on several of the prototype HHTs during testing in Australia.

They wanted to see what differences in terminal performance were observable with different tip configurations.

Some bullets were shot into animals with no tip installed. Others, they ground the tips down and made the tips flat/blunt.

Final results were the standard tip performed the best overall, by a good margin.

Minor imperfections/dimples in the tips probably have no downside at all - other than cosmetic - in a hunting projectile.

As Butterbean noted, scratches or other imperfections on the base of the bullet would probably be a greater concern😊

Thanks for sharing. Fascinating

Yes it's Kirby's and I don't have one, just a guesstimate. I don't blame you on the bolt face.
I'm hoping they tip the 90gr Absolute Hammer. I may have to try some 6mm HHT's, plus I want one of those copper blocks.
I was curious too. Ordered some 75 gr HHT in 6mm to try in my 6 Dasher. Also a sample pack of the 55 HH just to see how fast the little Dasher can push them.

I was curious too. Ordered some 75 gr HHT in 6mm to try in my 6 Dasher. Also a sample pack of the 55 HH just to see how fast the little Dasher can push them.

I ordered the 75s for a dasher too. I'm gonna try them in my 28" barrel. If fast enough thought i chamber in a 24" for varmints or deer off the deck. I'd be curious to see what u get for speeds 75 & 55s

Now you guys got me thinking…be an interesting experiment to have bullets made to be DELIBERATELY non concentric by varying degrees and see how much it affects things, and if it does (surely it must?) is there a point under which it doesn't matter?
We could argue about whether straight holes or corkscrew holes wounds more 😂

We could argue about whether straight holes or corkscrew holes wounds more 😂
Ahhhh! I hadn't even thought of that!!! 🤣🤣😂

I see your "hammer" and raise you a corkscrew!

Back a few years ago hornady had a "get loaded" promotion.

Hammer needs to do a "get hammered" one…they even make copper mugs now 🤣

But I think if we make these hypothetical bullets a "get screwed" sales pitch may not be so popular

Ahhhh! I hadn't even thought of that!!! 🤣🤣😂

I see your "hammer" and raise you a corkscrew!

Back a few years ago hornady had a "get loaded" promotion.

Hammer needs to do a "get hammered" one…they even make copper mugs now 🤣

But I think if we make these hypothetical bullets a "get screwed" sales pitch may not be so popular
Thats some funny stuff!!