And the next Contestant on "Who's Head is Gonna Spin" C'mon Down

After going through this thread I think I now want a 50 BMG.
Just to see how many deer I can NOT shoot in the head and kill em. šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Using my 375 Bee with a 260g Accubond at a measured 2950fps @ the muzzle, a hind quarter shot at 15yrds blew a whole the size of two large men's handsā€¦.all four of 'em would fit easily.
The bullet did not reach the offside rib cage. It took the lower lobe of the offside lung and stopped. The plastic tip was found stuck to the inside of the rib cage.
It was a huge mess and my buddy was physically sick looking at it. The gut bag was non-existent, it's contents were all through the chest cavity, the diaphragm was not hit by the bullet, but it was torn to shreds. Every organ was damaged, even it's anus and sexual organs were bloodshot. To this day, I have not seen so much damage. The top of the femur was found 2 feet inside the abdomen.
This was classic cavitation. Which I do not believe is a theory, it is real in water with boat props and bullet petals that are spinning through tissue are doing something very similar.

Cheers.
.338 RUM, 180 grain Accubond, 3550 fps will destroy an antelope. So yes, one can hit smaller big game hard enough to produce results usually reserved for varmints.

Cavitation, bubble, hydro-call it whatever.

Last animal shot, antelope about 90 yards. 6.5 Ultracat, 124 grain Hammer, 3960 fps. 3 observers all saw a "wave" begin at POI traverse the animal, and return. (Like pushing on a water bed). All impacts have to cause a ripple of some kind, the larger the ripples have to have some kind of effect on anatomy and physiology.

High velocity is great, high velocity in larger caliber more so.

.338 RUM, 180 grain Accubond, 3550 fps will destroy an antelope. So yes, one can hit smaller big game hard enough to produce results usually reserved for varmints.

Cavitation, bubble, hydro-call it whatever.

Last animal shot, antelope about 90 yards. 6.5 Ultracat, 124 grain Hammer, 3960 fps. 3 observers all saw a "wave" begin at POI traverse the animal, and return. (Like pushing on a water bed). All impacts have to cause a ripple of some kind, the larger the ripples have to have some kind of effect on anatomy and physiology.

High velocity is great, high velocity in larger caliber more so.
Yup, Once shot a big 10 point buck running broadside. Broke three legs and removed the off shoulder. I've blown up several learning what different combinations of big guns and bullets will do. We always had two different problems; hunting deer in flooded timber and really big beanfields. Takes a lot of gun for either, and finding a suitable bullet for both is very difficult. Barnes used to make a 180gr .375bullet. Don't know if they still do but it is really gross in a big case. The absolute worst thing I ever tried is a 8MM 175gr Sierra @4k. Will completely disintegrate a coyote. Absolutely nothing left but a bloody spot about 10yds in dia and little pieces of fur floating around. Even the bone. Unbelievable red mist cloud. Not even remotely suitable tor anything edible. Hoped it would be a good LR beanfield load for deer. Made the mistake of trying it....

After going through this thread I think I now want a 50 BMG.
Just to see how many deer I can NOT shoot in the head and kill em. šŸ¤£ šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Naw, you don't need that, just stay north of 3800fps and 4500, or better yet 5000fpe with any cup and core bullet. Bonded or not, doesn't matter. You will find what you seek Brother, and it is not pretty. Ever see a cloud of red mist 50yds in dia and better than treetop high?

Most definitely as you have 17 grains more H2O capacity (according to Nosler) than ButterBean's 300 RUM.
Though I do wonder about diminishing returns in such a huge caseā€¦it may be that it can't really drive the 101s much faster at all than the 124s. And those 124s will easy hit 4000 and the bc difference should actually be enough that they shoot flatter as far as hold on hair range.

This thread has me thinking about what sort of effect the 500 grain .50 BMG rounds I have will create. I ran a box of them through my M82 and they cycled fine but never chronographed them.

Besides having a lot of knowledge and skill...you guys are more than a little crazy.

Of course this is coming from a guy whose favorite part of the hunt is the post-mortem full autopsy.
Not really, we are just playing around in a way. You are just north of my current location, and hunt the same kind of cover I'm sure. Flooded timber is tough. So are 120-160 acre beanfields. In many places if you shoot a deer in a field and it runs out of the field it is lost, due to it escaping in knee deep water. You have to put it down. Choices have always been pretty simple. Head shot, Neck shot, or bloodshot both front shoulders. There is another. Rear lung shot with a big, fast gun. That takes care of hold on hair range. It also gives quick kills across those fields if the gun is big enough. IMO these guns start with the 300RUM, 338 Edge, and go up from there. (With guns like a 28Nosler, I will wait until he is at least 100yds into the field, or not shoot across it.) You just have to be really careful and not hit bone close with them. Butterbean has a different way to maybe 600, this has been what we have been fooling around with. I like the idea for close and midrange, can't wait to try them and see where they shoot compared to the 190's. my luck nowhere close, and I'll end up hunting with a different gun in the woods and the fields this year. The .308 190ABLR started around 3450 will kill a whitetail a long ways.

Not really, we are just playing around in a way. You are just north of my current location, and hunt the same kind of cover I'm sure. Flooded timber is tough. So are 120-160 acre beanfields. In many places if you shoot a deer in a field and it runs out of the field it is lost, due to it escaping in knee deep water. You have to put it down. Choices have always been pretty simple. Head shot, Neck shot, or bloodshot both front shoulders. There is another. Rear lung shot with a big, fast gun. That takes care of hold on hair range. It also gives quick kills across those fields if the gun is big enough. IMO these guns start with the 300RUM, 338 Edge, and go up from there. (With guns like a 28Nosler, I will wait until he is at least 100yds into the field, or not shoot across it.) You just have to be really careful and not hit bone close with them. Butterbean has a different way to maybe 600, this has been what we have been fooling around with. I like the idea for close and midrange, can't wait to try them and see where they shoot compared to the 190's. my luck nowhere close, and I'll end up hunting with a different gun in the woods and the fields this year. The .308 190ABLR started around 3450 will kill a whitetail a long ways.
I understand exactly what you are dealing with. My terrain is somewhat different--but the challenge and problem is the same--being able to find and recover your deer.

I have a couple of stands in South Arkansas that are pretty close to clear cuts that have grown up into thickets. So while I don't have to deal with blood trails that disappear in knee deep water, I do want the deer to go down before he reaches the old cut over or it is hell getting him out.

On one of my stands, that means any deer I shoot has to go down within 15-20 yards or he will stuff himself into the thickest thorniest stuff you never saw. Year before last, I made a less than perfectly placed lung shot on a buck and he ran about 25 yards, but I got lucky he got his antler twisted up in the briars as he was going into the clear cut thicket and he died there before he could free his antlers (Thank you, Jesus!)

So yeah, I know I don't need .338, 30-06 or 270 WSM to kill South Arkansas deer. But I use them j because they go down quicker. And although I've killed a slew of deer with 30-06, I have observed they go down a lot quicker when the bullet is impacting at over 3,000 fps as they do with 270 WSM.

The temporary wound cavity does a lot of damage to a critter's organs and nerves when it goes in screaming over 3,000 fps. And I'm quite sure for those of you who are sporting the heavier artillery, the faster the bullet is screaming on impact, the faster that critter hits the ground.

I understand exactly what you are dealing with. My terrain is somewhat different--but the challenge and problem is the same--being able to find and recover your deer.

I have a couple of stands in South Arkansas that are pretty close to clear cuts that have grown up into thickets. So while I don't have to deal with blood trails that disappear in knee deep water, I do want the deer to go down before he reaches the old cut over or it is hell getting him out.

On one of my stands, that means any deer I shoot has to go down within 15-20 yards or he will stuff himself into the thickest thorniest stuff you never saw. Year before last, I made a less than perfectly placed lung shot on a buck and he ran about 25 yards, but I got lucky he got his antler twisted up in the briars as he was going into the clear cut thicket and he died there before he could free his antlers (Thank you, Jesus!)

So yeah, I know I don't need .338, 30-06 or 270 WSM to kill South Arkansas deer. But I use them j because they go down quicker. And although I've killed a slew of deer with 30-06, I have observed they go down a lot quicker when the bullet is impacting at over 3,000 fps as they do with 270 WSM.

The temporary wound cavity does a lot of damage to a critter's organs and nerves when it goes in screaming over 3,000 fps. And I'm quite sure for those of you who are sporting the heavier artillery, the faster the bullet is screaming on impact, the faster that critter hits the ground.
Literally like he was hit in the head with Thor's Hammer. And I feel you. Hunted at Locust Bayou for years. Had a 30-378 I was rather found of for road stands between cutovers.

Last edited: