Analysis paralysis

redleg1013

My dad, my son and myself are all working together on a legacy rifle. We have a Savage 111 action that is currently in 30-06. The plan is to finish out the 80% Claro walbut stock, bed the action as well as pillars, and to replace the barrel.

The question I have is: A) do I want to keep in 30-06, seeing that I already have dies and brass, etc OR B) do I go with 30-06 AI realizing that there's not a massive gain in velocity, and would necessitate new dies, but does provide a bit of a "conversation piece" down the road.

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful and relevant input.

I would be interested in knowing the primary use intended for this gun?

If it's rarity and conversation, sure! Have fun. Doing it together is priceless.

The newer, high BC bullets allow the '06 to do much better than it used to, at distance (energy, drop..). It might be fun to add a bit more twist with the new barrel and work up some loads for long-distance work; hunting or target.

I would be interested in knowing the primary use intended for this gun?

If it's rarity and conversation, sure! Have fun. Doing it together is priceless.

The newer, high BC bullets allow the '06 to do much better than it used to, at distance (energy, drop..). It might be fun to add a bit more twist with the new barrel and work up some loads for long-distance work; hunting or target.
It's going to an even split between a target rifle and a deer rifle, something to shoot across the pasture section. We have an open lane that is 920 yards, it would be further but rural electric came and took a 5 acre chunk off the corner of the property for a new line.

the old 06 is a mighty fine round and very capable with that said if I were thinking AI I would be thinking 280AI not 30-06 AI you have to buy dies both ways and they will be plentiful again someday as will 280AI peterson brass so no need for fireforming

Last edited:
My dad, my son and myself are all working together on a legacy rifle. We have a Savage 111 action that is currently in 30-06. The plan is to finish out the 80% Claro walbut stock, bed the action as well as pillars, and to replace the barrel.

The question I have is: A) do I want to keep in 30-06, seeing that I already have dies and brass, etc OR B) do I go with 30-06 AI realizing that there's not a massive gain in velocity, and would necessitate new dies, but does provide a bit of a "conversation piece" down the road.

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful and relevant input.
I would stick with a 3006, ammo is-was plentiful you already have dies etc. I would go with a 10 twist on the re-barrel and that would cover pretty much any bullet out there

30-06 Ackley is one of my all time favorite cartridges. My current rifle has a 24.5" 3 groove 12 twist Lilja barrel. I built this to shoot 165 grain bullets. The biggest problem is I shoot the rifle to much, I'm working up a load for StaBall 6.5 and RE 23 is next. But barrels still aren't to spendy. I do have two 30-06's also, I think you need one of each.

X5, but that said, I have an '06 AI and I love it. yes, you need new dies, but not immediately. You can still crank out regular '06 ammo for it and just start fire forming brass- it'll shoot just fine in the new chamber. Or, since it's a Savage, keep your '06 barrel for nostalgic purposes and get a new barrel in some other chambering or even caliber. Barrel swaps are easy on a Savage.

The 30-06 or AI is a decision that I would struggle with also. Part of me says just stay 30-06, cause there's nothing more that I like better that new virgin brass. I always like a little room to get velocity up to another accuracy node also. And A.I.s have a mean look to them. But in the end, I personally don't have enough time for fire forming so I guess I would probably go standard 30-06. 10 twist will suit just about anything practical that you would shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.