Analysis paralysis

The .30-06 AI works well with a variety of 4350 type powders & 150 grain bullets, case capacity is 61.5 plus and velocities are about 3100. Heavier bullet loads can use 4831 type powders & RL19, 22 for velocities close to 3000 with 180's. For those who appreciate 100 fps gains it would be worth the cost of dies & fire forming. The AI version would probably get 3% more velocity with any suitable burn rate powder.

Last edited:
My dad, my son and myself are all working together on a legacy rifle. We have a Savage 111 action that is currently in 30-06. The plan is to finish out the 80% Claro walbut stock, bed the action as well as pillars, and to replace the barrel.

The question I have is: A) do I want to keep in 30-06, seeing that I already have dies and brass, etc OR B) do I go with 30-06 AI realizing that there's not a massive gain in velocity, and would necessitate new dies, but does provide a bit of a "conversation piece" down the road.

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful and relevant input.

I have a conversation piece, a .270 Ackley Improved. And....despite what some may say, including P.O. Ackley, there's a bit difference in performance over the .270 Winchester. However.........that "conversation piece" comes with the price of special dies and quite a bit of work fire forming and playing around with the brass. So.....if you just want to hunt and shoot without any particular work involved then the 30-06, if you want conversation, then the Ackley Improved. Or perhaps look for a comparable SAAMI cartridge that will give you a little more performance than the 30-06? Hope this helps with your question. The .270 Ackley Improve's performance is about equal as the .270 WSM, only with less powder and less recoil. Good luck with your build and making great memories with your son. This is what I did with my son, actually there's two .270 Ackley Improved rifles in the safe.👍👍👍

RL-26 will turn your regular 30-06 with 180's into a AI or Gibbs. 2950 fps / 24"
RL-17 will turn your regular 30-06 with 165's into a AI or Gibbs. 3025 fps / 24"
Both at <63Kpsi
If you can find these...on the flip side, no one ever jokes that boring old 4831 can turn your 300 win mag into an -06 ai on drugs (rl26). Just kidding around here...

while I'm at it though the suggestion to aqcuire
Rl26 reminds me of something I saw at the hospital a few years ago: there was a sign that said "if you would like a Bible please ask your nurse for one" and an impatient patient had wrote underneath it "if you would like to see a nurse please ask God for one."

RL-26 will turn your regular 30-06 with 180's into a AI or Gibbs. 2950 fps / 24"
RL-17 will turn your regular 30-06 with 165's into a AI or Gibbs. 3025 fps / 24"
Both at <63Kpsi
That petty much surpasses factory 300 win mag 180 gr loads. I'm a believer in RL26. I have saw what it will do in a 6.5 creedmoor.

X8
I have been playing with the 130 gr Barnes in one of my 30-06's and man that is a fun bullet.
I have shot it out to 400 yards with good success and will go beyond that soon.
Not as many bullet choices in 7mm.
Just a thought
Old Rooster

As someone who dove into an AI build last year for the first time I would have to go with the 06AI. It's something unique that you will be able to teach your son it's intricacies by handing down your knowledge and skills in order for him to continue loading for it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.