NXS parallax qustion. please answer

yeah you got a point there.

l have mised many animals at long distances with my old scope without parallax adj. cause of the movement of the cross hairs. l use to move my head up and down than estimate the center and pul the trigger. it worked in most casses :=)
thats why l find the parallax thing important.
thanks guys

hahahahahahah imagine that. your hunting with your buddys and the deers there looking at ya. you excitedly wisper to your m8. "pass me the hankycheef need to make some adjustments on my scope" hahahahahaha

I have always wondered how much a fella would have to pay for a scope that when the parallax was set to the range setting on the turret that the parallax was actually zero at that precise range.

I paid the bucks for a Zeiss 6.5-20 and still don't know how much.

I paid the bucks for an NXS and still don't know as NF is crafty enough to not put any range marks on the turret. Pretty smart, eh!:D

I focus with the focus and parallax with the parallax which is the real secret.

Before parallax adjustment odds of a good hit were improved by centering the cross hair on a smaller than full view through the scope (Black all around the outer edge of view).

Soundwaves,

I agree with you, I am a big fan of NF scopes but I don't understand why they don't mark the knob with yardages.

I use white electrical tape and cut a strip about 1/4" wide, wrap around the knob and write the yardages in myself. I find a cloudy day so I don't have any mirage and sit down at my bench and using the "move your head up and down" method described by others find the proper setting for each 100 yards out to 1000. After 1000 it is pretty much go to infinity and your good.

This works for me, but for almost $2,000 a pop you think NF could afford just a little more white ink???

Some scopes are extremely hard to remove the paralax. If you can hold your head in the same place every time you don't need to remove the paralax. One way to do this is to pull your head back from the scope a little and as the black ring forms around the sight picture make sure it is the same width all around. This is telling you that you have your eye centered with the scope.

My understanding is that adjusting the focus [small end, ocular?] is done once and it is to focus the reticle.
Am I correct?

soundwaves,

i agree with you, i am a big fan of nf scopes but i don't understand why they don't mark the knob with yardages.

I use white electrical tape and cut a strip about 1/4" wide, wrap around the knob and write the yardages in myself. I find a cloudy day so i don't have any mirage and sit down at my bench and using the "move your head up and down" method described by others find the proper setting for each 100 yards out to 1000. After 1000 it is pretty much go to infinity and your good.

This works for me, but for almost $2,000 a pop you think nf could afford just a little more white ink???
thats rİght m8

And whats with the nightforce logo it looks like a beer brand more than a optic brand. a bottle top logo lookin thing.:D

My understanding is that adjusting the focus [small end, ocular?] is done once and it is to focus the reticle.
Am I correct?
Yes.

As Royinidaho put it:
I focus with the focus and parallax with the parallax which is the real secret.
Focusing the eyepiece/ocular gets the crosshairs sharp.

Adjusting the paralax puts the image of your target and the crosshairs in the same plane within the scope so that the positioning of your eye does not affect your point of aim.

Here's a question for ya:

If you took your piece of tape and moved it from your scope to my scope, would it be accurate?

I'm thinking it would be a miracle if the calibration were transferable! If that were to be a specification I'm thinkin' the scope would cost twice the price.

Here's another thought, if one has diabetic tendencies things change from hour to hour. That really sux......... That's why I seem to have to "touch up" my 200 and 300 yard parallax settings at every bench session. At least that's what I'm blaming it on.

Soundwaves,

I agree with you, I am a big fan of NF scopes but I don't understand why they don't mark the knob with yardages.

I use white electrical tape and cut a strip about 1/4" wide, wrap around the knob and write the yardages in myself. I find a cloudy day so I don't have any mirage and sit down at my bench and using the "move your head up and down" method described by others find the proper setting for each 100 yards out to 1000. After 1000 it is pretty much go to infinity and your good.

This works for me, but for almost $2,000 a pop you think NF could afford just a little more white ink???

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.