NXS parallax qustion. please answer

soundwaves

it might sound dumb to some of you but l have to ask.:rolleyes: on my dads zeiss 6-24x56 the paralax adjustment has the distances on it like 100-200-300... but on my NXS 8-32-56 the adjustment only has stupid little lines to infinety-how do l know what the corect adjustment is if l cant see the distance markings? l just bought the scope so dont know. l find it dumb that night force just couldnt put numbers on it like 100-200-300 instead of silly little lines which confuse me.

sound - sorry this is off topic. have you shot any of the wolves, bears, wild boars? any pics? which taste better a bezoar or a boar?? thanks ron inflag

hahahahaha l like the taste of bore:D like hunting beozar but dont like goat meat:) l have hundreds of pics but cant figure out the way of puting them on the wall. and l have shot a wierd looking bear the other week- we have brown bear here but the one l shot was gray!!! almost white?????? will post the pic but need my cousen to do it for me.

Soundwaves, The NF parallax is pretty much it's focus. If you have it focused, parallax should be good. I keep mine set back a couple of notches (whitelines) from infinity in case of a quick shot because that adjusts for the longer shots whch is more critical for parallax.

Hope that helps,

-Mark

I wrote this for another forum a while back. I have a slightly different view than Mark. Keep in mind that all our eyes are different. I find the point of no paralax is usually just off focus. Anyhow, here is my method for the reading. This works well for me.

Long ago I became confused when Leupold put "Focus" on the parallax Knob on the side of their "Long Range" scopes. I started looking into this and was amazed with what they were doing. In my mine, they may be coaxing a shooter to miss his point of aim. Let me explain. That little knob we find on the left side of a scope in not a focus to me. It is indeed a parallax adjustment.

First we need to understand what Parallax is. Here is a link to an explanation, you may not have to read it all to understand what is going on. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax

Now I know for a fact that if I use the knob to focus to the sharpest image sometimes I stall have parallax. The way to check this is, put your rifle on sand bags and position the crosshairs on a small target. Set it up so the rifle will not move with out you holding it. Then carefully looking through the scope without touching the rifle move your head up and down and side to side. If your crosshairs are moving around on the target you are experiencing parallax. Now while doing this, slowly turn the parallax knob one way then the other until even though you are moving your head, the crosshairs are staying on point of aim. Notice that in some conditions or distances, this no parallax view might be slightly out of focus. Don't let the out of focus thing bother you as I am here to tell you this is where your rifle will shoot the tightest groups. Once you have played with this process a bit you will be able to do it from a prone or bench position with much less effort. It might only be 1 inch at 100 yards, but that is 5" at 500yards. Defiantly worth making this process a regular part of your set up for each target you engage.

Jeff gun)

Is Nightforce too cheap to include instructions? You should've got the BSA.

I agree with Broz except that you should probably set the focus on the dohickey lens closest to your eyeball first (small end) by pointing the scope towards infinity such as the sky (NOT THE SUN) and focusing for your eye. ...or, throw a white hanky over the big thingy lens at the front and set your focus.

Then give your eyes a rest and check it again and lock it down.

Now, do as Broz says in order to correct for paralax.

Bros. l know that m8. but what l was saying was with the zeiss if your target is at 500 meters you just turn the paralax to 500 and its done. but with the nightforce NXS there arnt any numbers refering to range there are ownly lines which make it harder to adjust wastes time in a situation where time is verry important. like a deer that has just noticed you and you only have a few moments to take the shot. understand? l was just wondering that if every line marking on the NXS refers to 100 yards of paralax adjustment. this was my real question. hope l explaned it better now.

...and, it's best to do all of that with both eyes open or with something covering your non-dominant eye. When you squint one eye closed, you're creating strain that influences the other eye. IMO

Bros. l know that m8. but what l was saying was with the zeiss if your target is at 500 meters you just turn the paralax to 500 and its done. but with the nightforce NXS there arnt any numbers refering to range there are ownly lines which make it harder to adjust wastes time in a situation where time is verry important. like a deer that has just noticed you and you only have a few moments to take the shot. understand? l was just wondering that if every line marking on the NXS refers to 100 yards of paralax adjustment. this was my real question. hope l explaned it better now.
progress.gif

Soundwaves - You can turn the dial on the Zeiss to one of the numbers and it may be close or maybe not. In any case, Ibex don't stand at exactly 100, 200, 300, etc yards (or meters) away depending on what your scope and rangefinder are calibrated for. If you are aiming for a precise target, you still should follow Jeff's procedure for best accuracy.

Got it! So then Mark had your answer. I too go to infinity and back a couple lines and leave it in case time is of essence. The reason is this is where I have found most long range adjustments to be free of paralax. But I just wanted to point out that just because the zeiss has a number this does not mean it is a paralax free setting for that range. Would be interesting for you to test the zeiss on a 500 yard target to see if the 500 setting still has any paralax.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.