Paralax and Focus

CWM-RHG

Previously Chuck Moles
I have two guns with Nightforce scopes, a 5.5x22x50 and a 7x35x56 ATACR. Both are out of focus when the parallax is set. For the test, I was looking at a spot on a tree at 400 yds and both scopes at 22 power. On the ATACR, the focus was perfect with the parallax knob at 425 yds, but had to spin it up to 900 yd mark to get the paralax right but it was out of focus. The 5.5x22 was in focus about 2/3's of the knob rotation (no yardage marks like ATACR) but had to be cranked to infinity for the paralax to be right but then out of focus. Is this normal? Can I possibly adjust the eyepiece to correct this? Any suggestions will help. Thanks

Normal! Meh? Depends on age, glasses, eye strain, etc...
Can you adjust? Yes. But age, glasses, eye strain, etc... is gonna be an issue.
If there are yardage indicators on parallax ignore those numbers and work focal ring, then tighten the parallax.

Make sure the reticle is in perfect focus 1st, then try it, folks forget to focus the reticle out of the box it will affect your parallax, when you focus the reticle do it on a white wall or piece of paper in front of the scope

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two guns with Nightforce scopes, a 5.5x22x50 and a 7x35x56 ATACR. Both are out of focus when the parallax is set. For the test, I was looking at a spot on a tree at 400 yds and both scopes at 22 power. On the ATACR, the focus was perfect with the parallax knob at 425 yds, but had to spin it up to 900 yd mark to get the paralax right but it was out of focus. The 5.5x22 was in focus about 2/3's of the knob rotation (no yardage marks like ATACR) but had to be cranked to infinity for the paralax to be right but then out of focus. Is this normal? Can I possibly adjust the eyepiece to correct this? Any suggestions will help. Thanks

No need to adjust the eye piece if your reticle is in focus, but you can probably take the parallax cap off and set it that way. No guarantee that it will be perfect all the way around but you can get 100ys at least.

Last edited:
I always adjust the ocular (Eye Piece) first to get the reticle in perfect focus for my (Old) eyes normally at 1 to 200 yards on max power.

Then when aiming at the target at any distance adjust the Parallax at that distance. I don't go by any numbers on the adjustment nob because they are seldom correct. Get in the habit of turning it to zero and as you go up, with out moving the rifle bob your head up and down slightly and you will see the reticle move up and down on the target until all parallax is gone.

Parallax and focus are two different settings and the scopes with range focus are an attempt to do two things at one setting. If you have one of these scopes. I recommend adjusting the eye focus first, then set the range focus until it is clear and then check it for Parallax as described. You may not be able to get all three adjustments correct at full power.

J E CUSTOM

OP - how far off is the parallax error when you adjust the parallax knob to make it in focus? In other words how many moa does the reticle move when moving your eye up/down, or side-to-side?

There is a sticky on this in the optics section here. Basically you adjust eye peice to focus your reticle as others have said. Then you are to crank your parallax or focus knob to infinity and focus coming down in distance on the knob. This is for side focus scopes. Front parallax is not fussy in this manner. In the article it also said on some scopes you can adjust the focus knob by cranking it past infinity and viewing an object more then 1000yds away you will need to read the sticky as this part is a little fuzzy. I have been using this method and it works very well.

Normal! Meh? Depends on age, glasses, eye strain, etc...
Can you adjust? Yes. But age, glasses, eye strain, etc... is gonna be an issue.
If there are yardage indicators on parallax ignore those numbers and work focal ring, then tighten the parallax.
I dont even know why they put numbers there lol specially with OCD lol

This might reiterate what others have said:

Set eye relief of scope

Aim at clear sky & set magnification on max & parallax to infinity.

Set focus of reticle by opening your eyes for a brief moment to evaluate, then close for a couple seconds & repeat. Your brain will "make it work" if your eyes are open long enough.

Once reticle is focused for you, parallax can be manipulated to 'focus' target. Don't worry if parallax needs to be at '200' to be used at 100 yards. Make sure crosshairs remain still relative to target when moving your head to ensure parallax is correct.

I always adjust the ocular (Eye Piece) first to get the reticle in perfect focus for my (Old) eyes normally at 1 to 200 yards on max power.

Then when aiming at the target at any distance adjust the Parallax at that distance. I don't go by any numbers on the adjustment nob because they are seldom correct. Get in the habit of turning it to zero and as you go up, with out moving the rifle bob your head up and down slightly and you will see the reticle move up and down on the target until all parallax is gone.

Parallax and focus are two different settings and the scopes with range focus are an attempt to do two things at one setting. If you have one of these scopes. I recommend adjusting the eye focus first, then set the range focus until it is clear and then check it for Parallax as described. You may not be able to get all three adjustments correct at full power.

J E CUSTOM
Je custom , l have a parallax question, when long range target shooting after settling on the target, I Back away from scope. Reducing view to a small hole. This centers my eye. eliminating the parallax problem. Your thoughts?

Je custom , l have a parallax question, when long range target shooting after settling on the target, I Back away from scope. Reducing view to a small hole. This centers my eye. eliminating the parallax problem. Your thoughts?

The best position doesn't eliminate Parallax, It will improve the point of aim where it will be more consistent though. Just like having a good stock that positions your head the same every time, anything that improves consistency will help.

Getting the scope height right, getting the cheek well right, getting the eye relief right and getting a good hold that is consistent always helps, but Parallax needs to be removed before all the other things are that help are used for best results. your consistent positioning does make a difference. Parallax is an optical problem not a physical
problem and as such can only be "eliminated" optically. No mater where your head is in relation to the scope, if you bob your head up and down, you will still see the reticle move on the point of aim to some degree.

I set my scopes slightly further away from me so I have to move up slightly to get a full view. (I started doing this to take the slack out of my neck for hard recoiling rifles to keep from getting hit by the scope eyepiece). If I placed the scope two close and my neck was to relaxed, recoil would drive my head forward ind make contact with the eyepiece. (Not good)

All of your good habits will help even more if you can eliminate Parallax all together.:)

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.