Ammo Storage for Hunting

Quicksilver338

Curious what everyone uses for a compact and secure means for storing and transporting your ammo while hunting. I backpack hunt the high country where I live and only looking to carry 5-10 rounds of ammo. Last year I used a nice leather fold over style pouch that held 5 300wm rounds. This year I will be hunting with a 300 norma mag improved and am looking for ideas along the same lines to hold a cartridge body of that size. Ideally to work with 338 Lapua as well. I'm sure a cartridge this size really narrows available options but open to everyone's options and ideas!

Frog4aday

Leather fold-over pouch that holds 5 is what I've been using, too. Except when I am carrying my Tikka T3, and then I just carry a spare, loaded mag.

Bravo 4

10 round Voodoo tactical .50 cal ammo pouch for my Snipetac/Cheytac sized cartridges.
20 round Blackhawk folding pouch for basically everything else.
My .338 RUM cases barely fit in the Blackhawk. Your cases may need the bigger Voodoo. I can send you one of each to play around with to decide, but I think I paid about $15 a piece at the PX so it may not be worth the shipping.:D

Attachments

Quicksilver338

10 round Voodoo tactical .50 cal ammo pouch for my Snipetac/Cheytac sized cartridges.
20 round Blackhawk folding pouch for basically everything else.
My .338 RUM cases barely fit in the Blackhawk. Your cases may need the bigger Voodoo. I can send you one of each to play around with to decide, but I think I paid about $15 a piece at the PX so it may not be worth the shipping.:D
The voodoo one looks like it may be a good fit in the backpack. I'll check it out, thanks!!

WeiserBucks

This ^^^^^^^ . My mag holds 5 , Triad stock pack holds 5 and I keep a loaded mag in my pack. I'm not worried about shooting all 15 rounds, but I stress out about losing stuff .

Hoss50

I dont backpack hunt, and I always carry way to much ammo. 4 in the gun, about 8 in the stock cheek rest holder, 1 in each pant pocket, 10 more in the daypack.

To much is better than to little. My buddy and I went out for a quick peak one afternoon. He left his pack in the truck. He saw an elk and ranged it at 250. He took 3 shots and missed 3 shots. He left his spare ammo in his pack, in the truck...

He re-ranged and it was actually about 415. He hit a tree at 250 on the first range attempt and launched his only 3 rounds. Once he re-ranged because he could not figure out why he missed he realized his mistake...

We never got another shot at those 2 elk again.

Bucklowery

I can’t help much. I have 4 in the gun, 8-9 in cheek rest and a box of 50 in my drag bag if I have it, which I usually do. I don’t get to go on pack hunts a lot. It’s flat and rarely far from the truck. I do shoot a lot but you never know so I go loaded down. I think I got eleven one afternoon deer hunting. I have not done that again it is a lot of cleaning. Our deer are small here so like killing one big bull elk I would imagine

Thanks

Buck

cjl2010

Because we usually backpack in I bring the extra 20 just in case I fall or anything happens I have enough ammo to confirm zero and create confidence that my rifle is still shooting well. Plus, you have to account for random coyotes that need to die!

SealTeam4

Not getting out of bed to take photos but I have Bullet Binders made by a guy on Snipershide named “softcock”. I’ve been using them for about 5 years for every caliber I shoot. Love them. He makes several different sizes but I always by the 40 round. Found this picture ok google.

E058B334-9B2C-4E89-80A0-7FF5030B9F0E.jpeg

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce