Silenced long rifle storage

Davebearpig

Hey guys, I posed over in the Suppressor's forum and realized it has zero activity, so I'll try here.

I have a 556 silencer that I've used on AR's, 22s, 223s, etc, and now I have a custom R700 in 7mag that I'm looking at putting a Thunderbeast on.

My barrel is 26.5" with a vaise brake. I know adding a silencer can change the zero point as it equalizes pressures better, ultimately making it kick less and possibly more accurate.

BUT... here are my questions: Do you guys take your silencers off of your guns when you leave the range/hunt? Do you worry about your zero changing if you take it off all the time? For absolute precision, would a direct thread or quick thread be the best, and do either affect zero if taken off?

If you don't take it off, how do you fit a rifle plus 9" silencer in a case or safe?

I have a SWR .30 cal direct thread suppressor and use it often on my .308 and .300WM. I take it off every time I leave the field of come back from the range, mostly get a rifle back in a case. I have not seen any change in the POI on the guns I use the suppressor on by removing the suppressor when not in use.

I use a silencerco omega with the ASR quick mount. It allows me to removed the suppressor easily anytime I want. Any good can will and should have near perfect return to zero and zero shift when you take it on and off. I find zero shift anytime I mount my Omega on my 260 or 300wm. thunderbeast cans are supposed to be designed around LR precision, so I don't think you'll have any trouble with either mounting system. Take it on and off, just protect those threads when ever the can is off.

Hey guys, I posed over in the Suppressor's forum and realized it has zero activity, so I'll try here.

I have a 556 silencer that I've used on AR's, 22s, 223s, etc, and now I have a custom R700 in 7mag that I'm looking at putting a Thunderbeast on.

My barrel is 26.5" with a vaise brake. I know adding a silencer can change the zero point as it equalizes pressures better, ultimately making it kick less and possibly more accurate.

BUT... here are my questions: Do you guys take your silencers off of your guns when you leave the range/hunt? Do you worry about your zero changing if you take it off all the time? For absolute precision, would a direct thread or quick thread be the best, and do either affect zero if taken off?

If you don't take it off, how do you fit a rifle plus 9" silencer in a case or safe?

Response extracted off your original post ...

I take mine on and off without any worries. It's best when it's screwed on directly.

I have a folding stock so gun case/safe storage is not an issue.

Don't count on your rifle to be more accurate IF it's NOT accurate to begin with.

For absolute precision, i personally feel direct threaded suppressors offer the best supressor to barrel alignment. However ive tested some QD supressors and they did very well so i wouldnt think the difference is as big as it used to be.

Regardless of the style you choose, you need to remount the supressor a few times over and over and see how it repeats. I wouldnt assume anything in this regard.

Now the kicker. Just about every can ive tested repeats better if it is never removed. However leaving a can on a barrel for extended periods of time can corrode a crown and the rifling an inch or two down the bore. My practice was to always store the rifle muzzle down, and remove the can every couple months or 100 rounds and clean the mating surfaces, crown, bore, and then re zero.

Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.