Ammo Storage for Hunting

There's also this company: https://clickitclam.com/types/lock-it-clam

They make these plastic cases for various things including ammo storage. Lightweight and seem to secure very well. However, here are my .338 lapua rounds and they don't quite fit. I have been in contact with them and waiting to try their new model to fit the larger cases.
61E27FDB-F1E9-4166-9680-D81AA293210D.jpeg

As you can see, the opposite side holder in the case hit the case and won't close properly. The case is long enough for my OAL, however, I recommended another .25-.50" bigger.
D81E0DB1-31B3-402E-B13C-0FAA6A69BC91.jpeg

From L to R: 6.5-284, 270 WBY, & 300 WIN. The 6.5 is loose and will slide around. The WBY & WIN fit perfect.
F38B36E5-49A7-4531-A2AA-2B41375AC755.jpeg

With my Cooper, I carry two magazines, three rounds in each. One is kept in my Triad stock pack while the other is in use. The remaining 12 of the 20 round ,box I'll keep in my back pack. For my box magazines, I carry a ten round nylon ammo wallet.

3 in the mag, 8 in the cheekrest on my 300WM. I take masking tape and make a couple rounds of tape around three loaded cartridges and then place them in my pack. Not too much tape or you won't be able to break them apart quickly and easily. They won't rattle so long as they're taped together. Now you have a neat bundle that will fill the mag quickly. I carry two of the three-cartridge bundles in my backpack. 3+8+3+3= 17 rounds. That should do it. If you carry your bundles in the same pocket you might tape the bundles together to make sure the bundles don't clink together. I don't usually have that problem since said pocket is usually full of other stuff and they wind up slightly separated anyways.

What's wrong with you guys? You only need one round, so I carry a second round in my pocket. Seriously, with my 300 WM, I have 3 in magazine and 8-10 in a soft folding cartridge carrier. Never needed to open the soft carrier, but being soft I don't notice it in my cargo pants leg pocket. Think I picked it up at Walmart.

Last edited:
Curious what everyone uses for a compact and secure means for storing and transporting your ammo while hunting. I backpack hunt the high country where I live and only looking to carry 5-10 rounds of ammo. Last year I used a nice leather fold over style pouch that held 5 300wm rounds. This year I will be hunting with a 300 norma mag improved and am looking for ideas along the same lines to hold a cartridge body of that size. Ideally to work with 338 Lapua as well. I'm sure a cartridge this size really narrows available options but open to everyone's options and ideas!

Ammo Wallet by MTM Caseguard. Used them for 40 years for virtually every caliber. Made for the exact task, perfect, and very reasonably priced.

I use a mtm 20 round ammo case with a flip top. It carries 3 in a row so it is more compact. It fits in my back pack side pocket so it's accessible. If I am running a mag rifle and hunting predators I carry a spare mag.

Curious what everyone uses for a compact and secure means for storing and transporting your ammo while hunting. I backpack hunt the high country where I live and only looking to carry 5-10 rounds of ammo. Last year I used a nice leather fold over style pouch that held 5 300wm rounds. This year I will be hunting with a 300 norma mag improved and am looking for ideas along the same lines to hold a cartridge body of that size. Ideally to work with 338 Lapua as well. I'm sure a cartridge this size really narrows available options but open to everyone's options and ideas!
What ever will keep the ammo from getting,wet shock and,easy to get,to.

I use AI 10 round detachable mags in my 300 WinMag and Magpul 20 rounders in my Wilson Combat .308 Winchester Super Sniper. I carry a few depending on the rifle in my backpack that are ready to go, just in case.

10 on the stock of my gun. Elastic shellholder.

When backpack hunting, I usually just carry 4 rounds. If I don't put the animal down with the first shot, the second is a prayer.

For my 338 NM, I have two mags. One in the gun and one in my water bottle holder pocket on my pack. I cinch it up so it won't fall out and its easy access. For BDL styles. I use the fold over pouches.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.