Ammo Storage for Hunting

"...while hunting" I store my 6.5 PRC ammo in two Browning X-Bolt Pro 3 round magazines plus two extra rounds in my jacket pocket for the rifle's chamber. So that's 8 rounds total.

If that doesn't get it done I have no business hunting.

Eric B.

Still getting some good ideas guys, thanks! Seeing a lot of smaller caliber products listed and the main focus is to hold Lapua sized cartridges which really narrows it down. So far I have seen a few options I'd like to try this season but as always keep the ideas flowing!

Curious what everyone uses for a compact and secure means for storing and transporting your ammo while hunting. I backpack hunt the high country where I live and only looking to carry 5-10 rounds of ammo. Last year I used a nice leather fold over style pouch that held 5 300wm rounds. This year I will be hunting with a 300 norma mag improved and am looking for ideas along the same lines to hold a cartridge body of that size. Ideally to work with 338 Lapua as well. I'm sure a cartridge this size really narrows available options but open to everyone's options and ideas!

Good Morning. Possibly due to my age ( I am 75 ) my 24 years in the military or my years hunting in the Minnesota north woods typically alone, I always carry survival supplies including 20 to 40 rounds of ammunition. This extra ammunition not only services for protection but also signaling. Though my close calls have been thankfully few ad far between I have always felt secure in the gear that I carry including extra ammunition.

Old carpenter rule measure twice cut once.

Range several times, if he had time for three shots he had time for two - three ranging shots since the range finder is a little quieter than three rifle shoots.

I'm not saying , but just saying....

He learned that lesson for sure. It was his first shot at a cow elk, and he buck fevered.

Good Morning. Possibly due to my age ( I am 75 ) my 24 years in the military or my years hunting in the Minnesota north woods typically alone, I always carry survival supplies including 20 to 40 rounds of ammunition. This extra ammunition not only services for protection but also signaling. Though my close calls have been thankfully few ad far between I have always felt secure in the gear that I carry including extra ammunition.
Would you be willing to share what you carry for survival supplies? I'm always trying to improve my pack. Thanks, Doug

Just as a suggestion. I have two methods of storage for ammo while hunting. my backpack has a secure flap on it and that holds my ready to use immediate access ammo (like Westex91 uses). then I have a waterproof, shock proof, I have a pelican case that holds three smaller pelican cases with 20 rounds of ammo each. This is for when I carry ammo for more than one gun on a hunt that Pelican case is my best friend. The small cases can hold 20 rounds of each of three calibers for me. then I have a rolling gear ammo pouch as stated before. this means any of the three guns I have brought (if I bring more than one gun on a hunt) I can have 2 full boxes of ammo for each. Base camp is where the big pelican with ammo stays once I am up there. the small pelican and my rolling gear ammo case go in my back pack and I am off. the 3 box pelican stays at base camp. the reason for the rolling gear is immediate access, the small pelican is for the SHTF time when I am out and get caught in a down pour and can not get out of it in time and my rolling gear ammo gets drenched. I do water seal the rolling gear but I have been in rain storms that drench me from head to foot in a matter of a few moments. it's not pretty. so the small pelican keeps the other ammo dry and safe. BTW both ammo cases in my backpack are silent. it is a thing of beauty.

I put 3 in my gun, 7 in my ammoslicker stock pack. If I'm gonna be away from camp for a few days I'll throw 2 or 3 extra rounds in a couple of zip locks just in case everything gets soaked.

I load fresh rounds right before the season so I usually have 30 to 40 rounds sitting at camp.

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/shooting/ammo-boxes-rifle-ammo-wallet.php

rifle-ammo-wallet-w-9-large.jpg

Not the best carrier but convenient. Here are 5/.338 Lapua rounds with room to spare. I had a piece of foam cut for inside to protect the tips, but couldn't find it for the pictures.
View attachment 144088 View attachment 144089 View attachment 144090
This is the most awesome "ammo" carrier I have ever seen! I absolutely love repurposing everyday things for other tasks. Many times we have used the plastic holders that come in new boxes of factory rounds. They normally hold 10 and combined with the rounds in the gun, the 9 rounds on the stock sleeve and the extra 10 in a fanny pack gives one plenty of ammo except for the longest of hikes or the biggest of shoot fests. If you are interested, below is a video of my sons taking down 2 nice whitetails at about 250 yards. We were glad they had some extra rounds with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.