Ammo Storage for Hunting

Quicksilver338

Curious what everyone uses for a compact and secure means for storing and transporting your ammo while hunting. I backpack hunt the high country where I live and only looking to carry 5-10 rounds of ammo. Last year I used a nice leather fold over style pouch that held 5 300wm rounds. This year I will be hunting with a 300 norma mag improved and am looking for ideas along the same lines to hold a cartridge body of that size. Ideally to work with 338 Lapua as well. I'm sure a cartridge this size really narrows available options but open to everyone's options and ideas!

10 round Voodoo tactical .50 cal ammo pouch for my Snipetac/Cheytac sized cartridges.
20 round Blackhawk folding pouch for basically everything else.
My .338 RUM cases barely fit in the Blackhawk. Your cases may need the bigger Voodoo. I can send you one of each to play around with to decide, but I think I paid about $15 a piece at the PX so it may not be worth the shipping.:D

Attachments

• 80AD1512-68F1-4692-B463-BBAD2D2699CC.jpeg
    80AD1512-68F1-4692-B463-BBAD2D2699CC.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 308
  • 55CC6FE6-68B7-4BC8-B22E-AF788591D9B5.jpeg
    55CC6FE6-68B7-4BC8-B22E-AF788591D9B5.jpeg
    284.6 KB · Views: 340
10 round Voodoo tactical .50 cal ammo pouch for my Snipetac/Cheytac sized cartridges.
20 round Blackhawk folding pouch for basically everything else.
My .338 RUM cases barely fit in the Blackhawk. Your cases may need the bigger Voodoo. I can send you one of each to play around with to decide, but I think I paid about $15 a piece at the PX so it may not be worth the shipping.:D
The voodoo one looks like it may be a good fit in the backpack. I'll check it out, thanks!!

This ^^^^^^^ . My mag holds 5 , Triad stock pack holds 5 and I keep a loaded mag in my pack. I'm not worried about shooting all 15 rounds, but I stress out about losing stuff .

I dont backpack hunt, and I always carry way to much ammo. 4 in the gun, about 8 in the stock cheek rest holder, 1 in each pant pocket, 10 more in the daypack.

To much is better than to little. My buddy and I went out for a quick peak one afternoon. He left his pack in the truck. He saw an elk and ranged it at 250. He took 3 shots and missed 3 shots. He left his spare ammo in his pack, in the truck...

He re-ranged and it was actually about 415. He hit a tree at 250 on the first range attempt and launched his only 3 rounds. Once he re-ranged because he could not figure out why he missed he realized his mistake...

We never got another shot at those 2 elk again.

I can't help much. I have 4 in the gun, 8-9 in cheek rest and a box of 50 in my drag bag if I have it, which I usually do. I don't get to go on pack hunts a lot. It's flat and rarely far from the truck. I do shoot a lot but you never know so I go loaded down. I think I got eleven one afternoon deer hunting. I have not done that again it is a lot of cleaning. Our deer are small here so like killing one big bull elk I would imagine

Thanks

Buck

Because we usually backpack in I bring the extra 20 just in case I fall or anything happens I have enough ammo to confirm zero and create confidence that my rifle is still shooting well. Plus, you have to account for random coyotes that need to die!

Not getting out of bed to take photos but I have Bullet Binders made by a guy on Snipershide named "softcock". I've been using them for about 5 years for every caliber I shoot. Love them. He makes several different sizes but I always by the 40 round. Found this picture ok google.

E058B334-9B2C-4E89-80A0-7FF5030B9F0E.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.