American Airlines “lost” my rifle

Just left the airport picking it up it was found and sent to my local terminal everything was fine
Had some help with locating it I'm very thankful for the help I received
This was my first time flying with firearm so really had no clue what I was doing thinking it would be ok will do a few more steps if I decide to fly again
Glad it all worked out!

Don't know if they still offer it, but when I hunted Dall in the Yukon, I bought extra insurance for the horns and cape in case they never made it to my destination. Purchased an amount equal to the cost of the hunt. Wasn't very expensive and gave me peace of mind that if it was lost/stolen, I could at least do another hunt. If memory serves me, this was through United. I'd do the same with that expensive of a rifle.

Just talked to a guy coming from Seattle East. They lost all his specialty tools,, some one of a kind, hand made. Don't know the Airline.

There is Tile, chipolo and Samsung has one I forget it's name. I prefer AirTags, but I also have an Apple.
On the air tags you say you have used them I've tried to find information on them all I find is on the internet and don't believe a lot that they say sometimes. how far will they actually work do you have to be reasonably close . If I could bother you could you explain a little about them. Thanks. David

So air tags are registered to your Apple ID and in the FindMY app on your phone you can see all your items on a map. Apple uses Bluetooth tech piggy backing to ping your device to update where it's at. It will show up on your app like the picture I will add. So let's say I misplace my item and it shows that it is at the Maverick gas station down the road on your app. You tell the app you want to find the device, it will then give you directions on the map to it. Once you're within bluetooth range you can ask the AirTag through the app to make noise so you can locate it with sound. You can see in my picture where my keys are compared to the other items I have. So if it was lost I would be able to know and get directions to to the keys that have my AirTag on it.
Pic 2 Here is an AirTag on my truck keys.

Attachments

• AE8F2463-9EEA-4E34-8C29-8C70C16B85C9.png
    AE8F2463-9EEA-4E34-8C29-8C70C16B85C9.png
    172.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 7FA72D18-5542-4977-8F26-23368F40B677.jpeg
    7FA72D18-5542-4977-8F26-23368F40B677.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
On the air tags you say you have used them I've tried to find information on them all I find is on the internet and don't believe a lot that they say sometimes. how far will they actually work do you have to be reasonably close . If I could bother you could you explain a little about them. Thanks. David
My response is above, I meant to quote you.

So air tags are registered to your Apple ID and in the FindMY app on your phone you can see all your items on a map. Apple uses Bluetooth tech piggy backing to ping your device to update where it's at. It will show up on your app like the picture I will add. So let's say I misplace my item and it shows that it is at the Maverick gas station down the road on your app. You tell the app you want to find the device, it will then give you directions on the map to it. Once you're within bluetooth range you can ask the AirTag through the app to make noise so you can locate it with sound. You can see in my picture where my keys are compared to the other items I have. So if it was lost I would be able to know and get directions to to the keys that have my AirTag on it.
Pic 2 Here is an AirTag on my truck keys.
So if he had one in his gun case and they flew it to Hawaii he would have been able to tell them where to look David

So if he had one in his gun case and they flew it to Hawaii he would have been able to tell them where to look David
I just have a hard time wrapping my head around how that little contraption can send a signal that you can pickup you would think it would have to be connected to satellites. David

Airtags will only keep you updated on last known location where a bluetooth connection was active, once that connection is broken, all bets are off.

You would be better off with a burner phone with something like Life 360 locator/tracker app inside an expensive rifle case.