American Airlines “lost” my rifle

I too am nervous when flying with a firearm, especially outgoing for a hunt. I place an Apple AirTag in a discrete location in all checked bags. Cheap insurance at $27.
Very good idea and my wife actually mentioned this while we was in flight I've never had a problem with luggage so really have never thought about it. I'll have some for anymore trips

You do not know if the rifle is misplaced or stolen. You need to document that the rifle was "lost baggage" immediately with AA in writing if not already done. Second, you should call your local police/sheriff and inform them of the situation. Hopefully they will document that the firearm is not in your possession. If you receive the rifle then notify that agency.

If the rifle was placed on a plane that you were not on then the rifle was not properly scanned in.

WOW, they don't know where it is, but they know both labels fell of and it went to Arkansas? All this information is based on an incorrect baggage claim number? What do they get if they scan your baggage claim tag?

Flying home and into JFK airport, I asked 3 different agents where my rifle case would be available for pick-up. Only one could answer and said that it would come down with the regular baggage, but it never did. I looked all around and kept returning to the regular baggage claim area, for my flight, but the rifle never appeared. My brother was walking all around the terminal and saw what appeared to be my rifle case laying on the floor in a different area. He picked it up and brought it over confirming that it was, indeed, my case.

It was my rifle, and it still had my tags on it. We walked out of the terminal with the case without anyone questioning anything. Virtually anyone could have seen the rifle case sitting unattended and walked right out with it.

Flying home and into JFK airport, I asked 3 different agents where my rifle case would be available for pick-up. Only one could answer and said that it would come down with the regular baggage, but it never did. I looked all around and kept returning to the regular baggage claim area, for my flight, but the rifle never appeared. My brother was walking all around the terminal and saw what appeared to be my rifle case laying on the floor in a different area. He picked it up and brought it over confirming that it was, indeed, my case.

It was my rifle, and it still had my tags on it. We walked out of the terminal with the case without anyone questioning anything. Virtually anyone could have seen the rifle case sitting unattended and walked right out with it.
I experienced that same scenario at KCMO.
American Airlines is one carrier I will *never* fly again with the ineptitude and shenanigans they have pulled.

I agree when flying or traveling these days its a risks on luggage, just seen a show about it this yr they have like 300% more missing/lost bags than ever in history of flying!
adding a GPS Tracking unit to anything valuable is worth the costs and efforts, too late now, and feel bad for the lost gun
on that I would make sure a police report is filed and reported ASAP I am not sure the ATF will do anything, (unless there was a class II or III item with it like a supressor ) but like others said, informing them too isn;t a bad idea!

but you do really want to have the gun listed at either stolen or lost, so there is a legal record of it , so if anything happens down the road it doesn;t come back on you!

ALSO< there are many STEPS in filing a insurance claim on lost baggage, and air line folks ain;t going to tell you all the ways to get you taken care of, might be worth getting some legal advice on what to do, to get things back to you for what there values really are!
and in today's day and age all the more so with such high amounts of luggage this yr getting lost, I'd gather there is a forum some where on it , where others have told there story on what to do or what NOT to do! which might also be worth spending some time looking into!

best of luck to you on getting it back, or the right amount of $ back from the airline that lost it!

also, if your a NRA member, might be worth contacting them and asking for there advice/help, I'm, sure they have heard of ths before and could be of some useful help here!

and a link to the ATF for you!

Pretty what I'm thinking they don't know nothing. The number they was tracking was probably supposed to go Arkansas it was a lady's. They knew mine was missing they called me in to tell me so something seems fishy to they didn't tell me when the last scan was just that it didn't get on my plane to Birmingham. They have it all documented and gave me paperwork with a claim number

also, if your a NRA member, might be worth contacting them and asking for there advice/help, I'm, sure they have heard of ths before and could be of some useful help here!

and a link to the ATF for you!

Thank you going to contact them shortly if no better info I'm going to start some reports

If you have the rifle covered by insurance either on homeowners policy or separate gun policy think would be covered, and even though just acquired would be still covered even though not added yet. Not sure because they try to avoid paying anything, but think possible.

Depending upon your state, there may be mandatory stolen firearm report. Either way, as suggested, I would file one with American Airlines Security, every Airport Security, Local PD, State Police and ATF with American Airlines as responsible party involved. Personally, I would let it be known to AA case manager, I will pursue all legal investigative channels to apprehend anyone involved with apparent theft of a firearm.