lost my dad today

my father passed away today from a long battle with congestive heart failure.these last few weeks were pretty hard to deal with.he was a great man and introduced me to hunting and the outdoors at a very young age.we spent alot of time together hunting and testing loads at the range.lately here on lrh i may have been a little mean to a few guys and i apologize for behaving badly.one goes thru alot of different emotions when something like this happens and you don't realize how much of an *** your being to people.just wanted to let everyone know that i am sorry .

No need to apologize Steve. No one knows how they would handle such a great loss . Only folks that have been through what you are going through could understand . I will pray that God will give you Grace during this time of loss .

My dad was very much like yours Steve. I know how you feel and as someone else said, just always remember. And yes, he is in a MUCH better place now.
What is his name by the way?

Randy

I am sorry for your loss. Emotions are strong for our dad and you really never know how you will act on a day like that. I am glad you were able to spend the time you had with your dad, as in the future years, it will be a comfort to you.

My dad was very much like yours Steve. I know how you feel and as someone else said, just always remember. And yes, he is in a MUCH better place now.
What is his name by the way?

Randy
thanks guys for all the kind words.my dads name is larry joseph howe.67 years old with bad eyesight and could still out shoot me. he was a master handloader and taught me everything i know today about working up quality loads and ringing out the last tidbit of accuracy out of an already good shooting rig.if i had the money i would always pamper dad at xmas with really cool stuff like new guns and tumblers and digital powder scales and bags full of new brass. dads favorite calibers were the .243 winchester for varmints and light work,and his trusty .270 weatherby for big game.mom always got irritated with us because all we ever bought each other was shooting gear or reloading stuff. dads .270 weatherby was an awesome rig and always surprised people with the groups it was capable of. it consisted of a left hand rem 700 long action (timed and trued),a light varmint contoured hart stainless match barrel,a boyds grey laminatedstock that i steel bedded for him,a timney trigger,and topped with leupold vx3 8.5x20 .i watched him many a time put 3 in one hole with that big magnum.

Very sorry for your loss Steve! Sounds like the two of you made the best of the time he had.
The one thing I miss about Minnesota is spendy time with my Dad!!

Nice to hear your dad's name. What animals did he like to hunt? How's the rest of the family doing with everything? ED
when i was young we duck hunted alot,i mean every chance we could get we were on the river or big water.mom said he would go too far, letting me take up to a week off from school at a time so i could hunt every morning with him whenever he was on vacation from work.i loved it .we squirrel hunted alot,whitetail deer hunted,and did alot of varmint hunting together.if i was able to go groundhog hunting on a regular basis for the rest of my life i don't think i could match the number of whistle pigs dad bagged in his day.he also went on a few elk hunts in colorado,something i never got to try.dad also bagged quite a few turkey's in his hunting days. i remember back when i still lived at home with mom and dad he would practice for hours on an old slate call.it drove mom nuts.there never was any bad times between me and my pop,we always got along great and and he even put up with me when i quit smoking.(i was really irritable and mean during the process). the family is taking it pretty hard,his showing is today and his military service is tomarrow morning. dad requested to be cremated and his ashes spread on his favorite hunting grounds in southern ohio.

Another thing that's helped me when I lost my dad was at his funeral his friend spoke and told us that as we go through our daily lives if we ask ourselves what would dad do then we will be on the right track. Your dad sounds like the type of man that if you try and do what he would do then you'll be doin alright, even on the hard days. Your LRH family is thinking of your family.

my dads funeral service was very nice today.alot of family and friends were there and i was so busy greeting people and talking that i didn't have much time to tear up and make a scene. i'm starting to think my family had that in mind,very sneeky but nice of them. dad was given a military funeral with garands firing and taps on the trumpet.i'm sure that dad felt appreciated and loved.i thank all of you fellow shooters that responded with your condolences and prayers,they will not be forgotten.i think my dad is resting peacfully now and will be watching over me as i continue the constant struggle of modern life.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.