allen 5 port muzzle brake vs factory one

myrifleisLapua

Would the aps 5 port painkiller brake reduce recoil to 30-06 levels in my 10lb lapua?
I have a scope with 3.5" eye relief. Im not buying another scope . I think a matte black 5 port painkiller brake would look mean on my lapua. Im not recoil shy. I just don't want to be slapped by a optic lol.also my scope is 29oz without mount plus add a lb for the bipod

Here's the savage factory brake
2012-02-06_22-13-41_147.jpg

The APS brake will reduce the recoil of your Lapua more than the brake that came with it for sure. I don't know of you would need the big whopping five port One though.

P.S. I hope you are married because there is an awful lot of pink and light blue colors in that background :p

I'm thinkin' the big 5 port PK would be a bit much. On the 375 AM it reduces the recoil to a twitch which is much much less than a Holland QD brake on a 338 RUM shooting 300 gr projectiles does.

Kirby would know which size to use. email him..

Lol no it's not my pillow.
I shot it today no scope just shot it at the dirt hill to get a feel for the recoil.
using 285gr hornady.the box lists 2745fps. Very light recoil like a 30-06 not as light as the surplus fmj probably same as a 06 with 160 something gr projos. Im going to leave it as is. The fun barely moved when I shot it. That's a mild load to I would think a 285gr at 2745. Wasn't that loud either with just shooting muffs no secondary protection like I always been told when using a brake. It didn't seem much different noise or recoil wise than my brothers m70 ranger

IMO - but my disclaimer is that I have not done scientific testing. But if you took your stock unit which appears to be a good design and compared it to the top of the line models. The change in recoil reduction might be less than 10%

You would hope that the designers did the best they could.

Allen brakes in this picture use larger side vents than the older style Holland. Darrel Holland might have read this and his new line up of brakes has significantly larger side ports compared to the older QD. Even DH's web sight shows the older version

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/pics-new-small-3-port-painkiller-muzzle-brake-aps-32662/

My 5 port PK is designed for case capacities in the 130 to 160 powder charge range. MUCH larger then the 338 Lapua.

My Medium 3 port PK is designed specifically for chamberings that have 80 to 120 grains of powder charge. This is IDEAL for the Lapua. While the large 5 port may reduce recoil a bit more in theory, you would never feel the difference.

ALso, the large 5 port PK is designed specifically to be used on my Xtreme Heavy Sporter rifles chambered in my 338 ALLEN MAGNUM, 375 ALLEN MAGNUM, 410 ALLEN XPRESS, 458 ALLEN TACTICAL and 50 ALLEN TACTICAL, all based on the highly modified 408 CT parent case.

These rifles are relatively heavy, 17-18 lb standard weight. As such, the 5 port PK is not made with small top ports to control muzzle jump, no need in these larger rifles. The Medium 3 port PK does have three small round top ports to control muzzle jump as they are designed to be used on 10-15 lb class rifles where muzzle jump can be an issue.

As such, the 3 port Medium PK will actually perform better for you because it will control any muzzle jump your rifle produces keeping your eye on target so you can see bullet impact. From a solid shooting position, you will be able to see your bullet impact at any range from 200 yards out.

They will also keep the shooter protected from muzzle blast and ground debris much better then many of the other muzzle brakes on the market because of their slab style, solid bottom design made specifically with the big game hunter in mind. Because of the slab style muzzle brake, they have longer runners in each port which focuses escaping muzzle gas so that there is no high intense 360 degree muzzle blast signature. Its much more focused in the direction of the ports, roughly 30 degrees back from perpindicular of the bore. This does a couple things, protects the shooter better then most brakes and nearly eliminates down range muzzle blast noise. If your 500 yards down range, and do not know the rifle is going to go off, you would have a very hard time being able to tell where the shot came from, IF you even heard it at all.

Generally, if you miss your target, the bullet impact behind them will spook the game toward the shooter because the target has no idea where the shot came from and only hears the bullet smack the ground behind them.

Another thing with the large 5 port, you need a muzzle diameter of at least 0.880" for it to work, the medium 3 port PK works on barrels from 0.675" up to 0.910" in diameter and any caliber from 22 cal up to 416.

Hope this helps. If you have more information go to www.apsrifles.com

All brakes are in stock ready to ship when payment arrives.

That is one of the reasons why I suggested the medium three port versus the five port. I have one on my Lapua and it is so tame I can shoot it all day with no I'll effects. Liltank and I were out shooting groups a 1005 yards a few weeks back and he was down range in safe location and said he could barely hear the report of the rifle he said it was like a 22rf!! Likewise I was in the same area when he was shooting his .308 Winny and it was rather loud do to the style of break he is using. I was kinda shocked at how loud it was that far away!! I do really like the design of the break and it is very pleasant to shoot without the need to have double hearing protection as the shooter and as long as your spotter is also behind you it isn't bad for them either!! Well done Kirby!!

I used the Slim PK break on a 338 Lapua with amazing results. I now have Kirby's PK on 4 different rifles and all I can say is they are AWESOME! You will not be disappointed using any of his products, I promise.

Kevin L

I've got Kirby's 3 port on my 7mm AM and had him put a smaller version on my .257 Wby MK V w/factory barrel. My 7mm AM feels like my 6# .243.

When I shoot my .257 that doesn't have the brake on it from a bipod on the bench the left bipod leg hikes up an inch or so. The .257 w/brake just pushes back, no hiking of the leg at all.

I've also shot his big .375 chambering, and while I wouldn't want to shoot an all day testing session with it, I can honestly say that shooting 50 rounds thru the gun would be no problem. His brakes flat out work!

Here's what his smaller PK brake looks like:
100_0567.jpg

Thanks for the reports guys, much more valuable then anything I can say about the Painkillers.

That said, I would like to add a few more bits of information.

The large 5 port and medium 3 port Painkillers are the best for protecting the shooter from intensive muzzle blast. This is because of the long runner design on both of these brakes.

The Slim version of the medium 3 port PK and the Small 3 port PK have shorter length runners, still EXTREMELY effective at reducing felt recoil but because of the shorter runners, the escaping muzzle gas is not as focused which allows it to disperse over a wider range around the muzzle. While better then many brake designs, the shooter will notice a bit more "Intensity" with the small and Slim medium PK then you will from the Large and Medium PK.

That said, if you get in the blast area of the Large 5 port and Medium 3 port, it WILL be intense!!! Keep your spotters and bystandards as directly behind you as possible for their comfort and protection.

I am considering a Micro version of the 5 port PK for use on barrels with very light sporter contour barrels in the .540" to 0.650" range. Curious what your guys opinion on a newer, smaller version of the PK would be.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.