Ported Barrels/Muzzle Brakes???

Shane Lindsey

Big Gun Owners,

I have a question about lightweight rifles with ported barrels or muzzle brakes. I am a small man and currently have a .270 Sendero, so the recoil is tolerable. I read all the time about "little bitty ladies shooting big .338s while hunting", however, do they really know the rifle, or do they just shoot it once at an animal after their husband/guide has zeroed it for them. If this isn't the case, ladies I applaud you, no offense meant. I need less felt recoil to be consistent.

If I were to buy something like a .338, will these devices reduce the felt recoil enough that it will be tolerable in a "lightweight" rifle?

Can this be done with a lightweight or do I just need to man up, carry the heavy one, and wait for the mule to kick?

Thanks

Big Gun Owners,

I have a question about lightweight rifles with ported barrels or muzzle brakes. I am a small man and currently have a .270 Sendero, so the recoil is tolerable. I read all the time about "little bitty ladies shooting big .338s while hunting", however, do they really know the rifle, or do they just shoot it once at an animal after their husband/guide has zeroed it for them. If this isn't the case, ladies I applaud you, no offense meant. I need less felt recoil to be consistent.

If I were to buy something like a .338, will these devices reduce the felt recoil enough that it will be tolerable in a "lightweight" rifle?

Can this be done with a lightweight or do I just need to man up, carry the heavy one, and wait for the mule to kick?

Thanks

The muzzle breaks work very well .

I personally dont use them on any thing smaller than a 416 but I can appreciate the reduction
in recoil. and if it helps the shooter Why not !!!

Breaks work well on any high pressure load they reduce the felt recoil by 30 to 45 %.

I just finished a 300 Rum for my brother in law and it kicks much less than a 308 Win.

A338 with a good muzzle break will feel like a 270 or less.

The ported barrel work just not as well as the muzzle brake (20 to 25 %) because it does
not have any baffles.

So if your going to do anything get a break installed.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.