All I wanted was a 300 RUM Sizer Die (a rant)

JohnnieB

Its taken me 3 weeks to secure a 300 RUM full length sizer die. First, seems like none of my usual supply houses have 300 RUM dies in stock, the common comment is "out of stock" or "special order." So I was able to purchase my preferred die, a Redding Die from Midway, upon my inspection of the die, could easily see that the expander ball position was way out of concentricity with the die body. So I sent it back. No more Redding Dies available, so I bought an RCBS X Die, my second favorite die. When I received that Die in the mail, did my inspection and found the same thing, the expander ball was out of concentricity with the die body. So I sent that one back. Now, nearly all dies I would want (RCBS and Redding only) were out of stock/backorder. So off to search the local stores. First store had one die set...out of round, and the second store had two die sets, fortunately the first set was nicely concentric. Checked the second set just to see, and that set was non-concentric.

Just makes me wonder what is happening to any level of quality control these days. If my work product was of this level of quality, my career would have been over years ago.

I've never looked at the expander ball position as I usually let them float.
Yep.
As the case is being pulled out of the die and over the expander ball the case is not supported by the die walls anymore.
So if the ball isn't perfectly centered it is not going to completely wreck concentriciy. Also just think how much play you have in your shell holder.
A lot of guys use rubber O-rings to float the ball.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts