REBARRELING A 300 RUM

If your 300rum is accurate I wouldn't re barrel it. I have some new Norma 300rum brass I'd sell if it would help you?
Joe's right, it's one of the best versatile hunting rounds available today. 308 has 1 of the best selections of bullets that exist anywhere.
Don't take this wrong, but I bought mine from a guy that had just not realized just how bad it would buck whenever fired and the muzzle blast..... If you have any reservations about the RUM because of any of this then definitely rechamber to another cartridge. Have a friend do the old test where hands you the rifle and you don't know if there's a round in the chamber or not and you shoot it a few times to see if you flinch or close your eyes, etc.
Absolutely the best to you, Paul.
P.S. There's alot of people who will pay a Decent price for it IF YOU decide to change.

Just send me a PM.

I can help you out with Remington brass ...I'm sure I have a few thousand laying around ! 😎😎😎

Rum Man

20230218_071609.jpg

Because it just flat "WORKS " 🤣🤣

I went with a 30 Nosler when I was rebarreling my RUM. I considered the 300 PRC but I read that there might be feeding issues with the PRC, due to RUM feed rails, if I didn't go with a detachable magazine or a centerfeed set up. The 30 Nosler works fine with my BDL set up.

I replaced two of my RUMs with the 30 Sherman. Very easy to load and shoot, pretty close to matching my 300 PRC initial loads with fireforming loads (both beat factory), and I don't do a single thing special for fireforming, just load the 300 PRC cases and shoot it. Rich had 1k packs of brass available when I got the reamer so I'm set for a little while. I have five barrel blanks lined up 🤣

I also kept one 300 RUM because nothing replaces displacement.

If this is your "Western" rifle and you like the ability to shoot large game at long distances, I would simply stick with what works and keep it 300RUM. Given you travel from Florida to Western states for big game hunting and the current expense of such hunts, brass or ammo costs are some of the least expenses to be concerned with.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/101349

Last edited:
I went with a 30 Nosler when I was rebarreling my RUM. I considered the 300 PRC but I read that there might be feeding issues with the PRC, due to RUM feed rails, if I didn't go with a detachable magazine or a centerfeed set up. The 30 Nosler works fine with my BDL set up.
Put a new 8 or 9 twist barrel on it. Anything you change it to is Not any less expensive. And if you want to get rid of it,
I have 3 - 300 and 2 - 7 Rums, I will find room for just 1 more. Honestly wife just 1 more. 😃👍

Looking for suggestions on cartridges to re barrel a rem 700 currently chambered in 300 rum.

I like the Ultra Magnum a lot but there are a few issues for me.

Brass availability is the #1 it's become increasingly hard to find and ultra expensive.

If you have a suggestion for a cartridge that fits well in the rum size action and has good brass availability I'm all ears
I have a suggestion .. this might be just me but take your 700 totally rework it ... set it up for a center feed 4.00" wyatts buy 1000 215 or 230 Berger hybrids or 245 berger and chamber it another 300 RUM for that mag box easy peasy done a truck load of them and they feed anything FROM A MAG BOX .. why settle for less cartridges when you can have the king of the mag bolt face 30's. I can promise you I won't ever be without one!!!

Last edited:
I also went to 30 Sherman Mag so I could mag feed the 250/245's I'm getting almost Identical velocity to the RUM.
I'm running them in a mag tho, not sure how well it would feed from factory rails.

I have a suggestion .. this might be just me but take your 700 totally rework it ... set it up for a center feed 4.00" wyatts buy 1000 215 or 230 Berger hybrids or 245 berger and chamber it another 300 RUM for that mag box easy peasy done a truck load of them and they feed anything FROM A MAG BOX .. why settle for less cartridges when you can have the king of the mag bolt face 30's. I can promise you I won't ever be without one!!!
I like the 300 rum a lot, and I think that's the road I'll be going down. Was only looking at rechambering to something that I could find brass for. But this fourm seems to have solved that issue.