Rebarreling a Rem 700 Sendero

I have a Remington model 700 7mm STW Sendero that is about 28 years old plus or minus. I put nearly a thousand rounds, maybe more though I may have in my younger days heated the barrel up excessively at the range. It does not perform as it used to. Originally I could get a 1/8 inch MOA and lately I am lucky to get a 2 MOA. My question is," can I rebarrel my fluted bull barrel and replace it with a pencil barrel. My consideration for this is weight and accuracy of the first shot. I'm not interested in long strings anymore. My first choice would be a Hart barrel as I am not that far away from their facility in Western New York. Of course, if this is possible, I would replace the stock with a carbon fiber stock. My 76-year-old body just doesn't perform well carrying 12 lb of rifle around anymore. Or, should I start from scratch and build a rifle? Cost is everything. I know that there is a large amount of knowledgeable information on this forum and would appreciate any opinions on my question.
Okay, here's an update. I spoke to Hart Barrels on the phone. They can set me up with a #5 or 5.5 Douglas barrel , thread the muzzle and install a brake and I can still use my Sendero stock , which is free floating. This will knock off 3 and 1/2 lb approximately and get me down to a little under 6 lb, and with swarovski's scope, a little over 7 Lb 2 oz. I'm checking a few other options, but I believe this is it.

The weight calculation maybe wrong? Double check.

Also, go with a Hart barrel vs Douglas, you will not be sorry due to how smooth the inside of a Hart barrel is = night/day difference.

The Number 5 contour is my favorite when replacing a Sendero weight or Rem varmint weight barrel, no flutes or carbon wraps for me.

Okay, here's an update. I spoke to Hart Barrels on the phone. They can set me up with a #5 or 5.5 Douglas barrel , thread the muzzle and install a brake and I can still use my Sendero stock , which is free floating. This will knock off 3 and 1/2 lb approximately and get me down to a little under 6 lb, and with swarovski's scope, a little over 7 Lb 2 oz. I'm checking a few other options, but I believe this is it.

Sorry but they are wrong. A #5 in a factory sendero stock will not be under 6lbs, not possible.

With a scope that will be a 9-10 lb rifle. Which in reality is about average for a hunting rifle.

Sorry but they are wrong. A #5 in a factory sendero stock will not be under 6lbs, not possible.

With a scope that will be a 9-10 lb rifle. Which in reality is about average for a hunting rifle.

With a healthy gap down the barrel channel.

With a healthy gap down the barrel channel.

A #5 isn't small, it's 4lbs just for the barrel. I've run a #5 in a PSS stock which is basically a Sendero stock and it doesn't look toooooooo bad, not great but huntable.

That #5 barrel and the Sendero stock will be over 6lbs, not even including the action.

A fluted #2 or possibly #3 in a carbon fiber stock will be pushing the 6lb mark on an untouched Rem 700.

Personally I think a #4 would be perfect for the OP in a nice McMillan Hunter or a Mesa stock, it won't be too light so recoil will still be manageable and also will balance well.

I finally took time to do the math.The rifle now with a 3.5-18 Z5 Swarovski BT weighs 10 lb 7 7/8 oz. A Hart #5 with a Douglas contour reduced 2 inches to 24 inches (diamond fluted) will supposedly reduce weight 3.5 lb. That is 6 lbs 15 1/8 oz. They are adding a muzzle brake and that will add a few ounces and I'm adding a 20 MOA rail. So...a little over 7 pounds. I haven't received the price and specs worksheet yet. Should be in the $800+ range.

I finally took time to do the math.The rifle now with a 3.5-18 Z5 Swarovski BT weighs 10 lb 7 7/8 oz. A Hart #5 with a Douglas contour reduced 2 inches to 24 inches (diamond fluted) will supposedly reduce weight 3.5 lb. That is 6 lbs 15 1/8 oz. They are adding a muzzle brake and that will add a few ounces and I'm adding a 20 MOA rail. So...a little over 7 pounds. I haven't received the price and specs worksheet yet. Should be in the $800+ range.

I don't believe you'll save 3.5lbs going from a Sendero contour to a #5. I think they mean the #5 barrel will weigh 3.5 lbs?

Here is my 7mm RUM...TL action (basically a rem 700, a touch lighter), with a carbon fiber #4 barrel in a McMillan Hunter Edge stock...7 lbs bare rifle.
KIMG0944~2.JPG
KIMG0939~2.JPG

I don't believe you'll save 3.5lbs going from a Sendero contour to a #5. I think they mean the #5 barrel will weigh 3.5 lbs?

Here is my 7mm RUM...TL action (basically a rem 700, a touch lighter), with a carbon fiber #4 barrel in a McMillan Hunter Edge stock...7 lbs bare rifle. View attachment 517634View attachment 517635 interesting, I will see what the actual weight is when I get the paperwork by email. Thanks for replying.

Based on the the spec sheet when I receive it, I may make the decision to sell the Sendero stock and fit the rifle with a carbon fiber stock if you're reasoning is correct

Hart #5 Heavy Sporter (blank) 4lbs.
HS Precision stock 2lbs, 7oz.
Rem 700 LA with BDL metal, trigger, lug, screws, etc. 2lbs, 7oz

After chambering, threading, probably about 8.5lbs...ish

If you went with a CF barrel you could probably knock a pound off that total as those are about 3lbs 4oz (avg at 26").