If you had a Rem 700 rebarreled .....

ShtrRdy

.... and if you did not have the action trued up, ....... what kind of accuracy did you get (assuming the barrel was good)

It would depend on how old the Remington is. The newer ones aren't great, but the older ones before Remington arms was bought out are shooters. I have a 270 with factory barrel and action that shoots .5 moa. But I would put money on the line that the new ones would do that. If you are going to rebarrel it why not rework the action or keep that gun the way it is and buy or build another

My (somewhat newer) Rem 700 7-Mag had the standard action lugs lapped a bit and put a Bartlein 3b on it, and I promise it shoots as good as the custom 7MAG that I just had built. (Defiance AnTi, AG Composite stock, Bartlein CF barrel, TT Diamond Trigger)

( They both shoot great - the custom was built for lighter weight)

Lap the lugs and square the face and she'll shoot. I've built a ton of rifles but my favorite is still my remington 700 long action magnum that's had half a dozen barrels spun up for it since gunsmithing school. All have shot exceptionally well in various magnum calibers. I will say though that I have run into a few dud actions over the years that required some more love but they've been very few and far between.

Hey, I had two rebarreled just two years ago. I put carbon 6 barrels on them. One was standard rebarrel in the same caliber, 300 Wby. The other was changed to 22-250AI with a remage barrel nut. Neither action was worked on. The best load so far with the 22-250 is .279, and I really haven't done all the tweaking yet. The 300Wby is around .75 and it has a lot more work to do with it. Basically had to take all last year off shooting, two back surgeries. The gun smith was Shaen Magar in CA. I will say that the 300Wby shot pretty well with the old barrel. The 22-250 was a 30-06 in its previous life and I didn't ever reload for it, probably had less than 50 factory rounds thru it.
Take Care

I did my first rebarrel in 1979 and for the next 8 or 9 years I did dozens of remingtons, never had a problem, in late 88 I started paying attention to lugs and run out, and that was brought on by a war time mauser, that issues probably because some yank was dropping bombs on his head, I was never convinced the extra work was worth it, but i did it anyway after that, over the next 22 years I did 35 to 50 plus rebarrels A year whenever I ran into a problem child it was never the action that was at fault, I know they can be from time to time but they are the exception, if it shot good before it will shot good again provided the work is done right,

Last edited:
I have two Remington Short Actions i rebarreled with no work on the action, the barrels were shot out and replaced with Kreigers. They shoot very well, easily a .6 MOA. I have a 300 PRC I built and went full tilt on the donor, a 700 Long. Recut threads, squared lugs and bolt face, squared front of action, reamed to .710 and sleeved bolt with .0015" diametral clearance and used a .312 Badger Ord lug i checked out on my surface block. Bartlein 3b barrel and it shoots marginally better than the other two. To be honest with myself, doing all that I am at the point of diminishing returns at my shooting skill level. I know that my discipline behind the trigger is not great, and my extra time on the lathe was wasted.