Africa

You are very welcome. Glad to help. When I first went when I was 30 years old there weren't that many people going. It was a lot of learning on the fly. I had saved for 10 years to fulfill my childhood dream. Went alone, met the pro hunter and two trackers, on a puptent safari, camping in the bush out of a couple of mokurus(tree dugouts). It was an adventure and worth every cent. Went back 7 years later.

That is too cool! I'm glad you got to go and you made it all happen on your own that in itself is awesome. I couldn't afford it even if I wanted to, I really am blessed that my father covered all the expenses. We are supposed to be staying in a lodge. Nuzaam Safaris is the outfit we will be using. As fun as your making it sound I'm getting excited every moment, I have a feeling my father will want to go back again. Lol

I've got a question & maybe Grey can help answer this. I've read in many many different publications that a lot of African Guides frown upon & some flat out ban the use of muzzle brakes. I can't say how true that statement is (although it does make sense). You may contact your guide & ensure they don't have a problem with that.

PS- congrats on the African hunt, that is something I have been dreaming about for a LONG time. :rolleyes:

If we don't get pics... you're banned for life! :D

Wow, thanks for asking that question it's something I hadn't thought of... And my 7mm has a muzzle brake on it :D What GreyFox said makes sense though, a lot of people use them now a days. I will probably email the outfitter and ask him if they are ok with them. I will take some pictures and video for sure. Hoping to capture every moment of it.

Congrats on the trip. Last year I was in the East Cape. Bushbuck was 307 yards. Cull Impala 373 yards. The rest were under 200 yards. As was suggested spend lots of time on the shooting sticks. I took over a set of Trigger sticks and my sons PH bought them from me w/ his tip $. Just saw a more recent video of my PH and he is now using a set of them.
You may wish to spend a little bit of time on africahunting.com. Another free web site that I'm a member of. They have a segment on before and after the hunt. Lots of good things to know to help your trip go smoothly. I would suggest that you decide beforehand about whether you will have the taxidermy done in Africa or in the US. Pros and cons both ways. Make sure you have the form 4457 on guns Binocs and perhaps expensive cameras and scopes.
On your rifle. Some African countries have a 7mm min caliber restriction. Usually not enforced. Many times the PH will have a min caliber that he will let clients hunt with. Your 7mm will do a great job on all of the animals on your list. I'm sure you will have a great time. Good luck. Bruce

Thank you! Wow them were some pretty pokes especially on an impala. Is form 4457 for the airlines and our gear? Or something specific to the African laws? My father got $1000 towards taxidermy work here in the states with the package he bought. But I heard its not too cheap to get the animals over here. What do you suggest?

Also, I forgot to ask you all. We are flying in to Johannesburg and according to the guide we don't have to take any pills or shots for malaria because of the area we will be at. Is that accurate? I don't know about having confidence in that and quite frankly I'd rather be safe than sorry. What shots and, or pills did you all take if any?

Also, I forgot to ask you all. We are flying in to Johannesburg and according to the guide we don't have to take any pills or shots for malaria because of the area we will be at. Is that accurate? I don't know about having confidence in that and quite frankly I'd rather be safe than sorry. What shots and, or pills did you all take if any?

I didn't require any shots, nor did my buddy on recent trips to southern Africa. I would always make sure your tetanus shots are in effect for anywhere. I personally would not get a malaria med if the pro said I didn't need one. Drugs to avoid malaria are very area dependent and they loose their immunity in time. I did take them in the areas I hunted because it was infested with malarial mosquitoes along the rivers we hunted. My second trip required a different drug, Larium, and had side lousy effects. My first trip was a quinine based drug, Methoquine, which was fine. Unfortunately the bug developed an immunity to it by the time my second trip was set. Having said all that, every person has a different view, and you should do what makes you comfortable. The CDC can tell you which drug to use for a particular part of the world.

I didn't require any shots, nor did my buddy on recent trips to southern Africa. I would always make sure your tetanus shots are in effect for anywhere. I personally would not get a malaria med if the pro said I didn't need one. Drugs to avoid malaria are very area dependent and they loose their immunity in time. I did take them in the areas I hunted because it was infested with malarial mosquitoes along the rivers we hunted. My second trip required a different drug, Larium, and had side lousy effects. My first trip was a quinine based drug, Methoquine, which was fine. Unfortunately the bug developed an immunity to it by the time my second trip was set. Having said all that, every person has a different view, and you should do what makes you comfortable. The CDC can tell you which drug to use for a particular part of the world.

Oh ok. I friend of mine will be going on a trip next month. They required her to take some meds before, after and during. I heard the side effects are not so pleasant ones. Thanks again

Hey 7mmRM, You will be amping !!! I went to Namibia five years ago and can relive every hunt like it had just happened, I have all my throphys except my Zebra in my office so I see them every day!!

All advise has been spot on, 7mm Rem Mag would be the choice with Accubonds for me,I used a 338 Win mag, which was more than enough.

The only suggestion I will suggest is to take a Bipod!! I could have used one heaps of times but its doesnt seem to be the done thing in Africa, shoot the animals the way you feel comforable shooting them, sticks have their place in long grass.
I shot 10 animals used sticks once, the rest were prone on rocks,over bags jackets what ever,I just didnt like it, got the animals sure, but would have prefered having my trusty harris there too.

JUST A COUPLE OF PICS TO GET YA FIZZING ABIT MORE :D

AndrewFitzpatrick23.jpg

AndrewFitzpatrick2.jpg

All the best
300WSMMAD

Hey 7mmRM, You will be amping !!! I went to Namibia five years ago and can relive every hunt like it had just happened, I have all my throphys except my Zebra in my office so I see them every day!!

All advise has been spot on, 7mm Rem Mag would be the choice with Accubonds for me,I used a 338 Win mag, which was more than enough.

The only suggestion I will suggest is to take a Bipod!! I could have used one heaps of times but its doesnt seem to be the done thing in Africa, shoot the animals the way you feel comforable shooting them, sticks have their place in long grass.
I shot 10 animals used sticks once, the rest were prone on rocks,over bags jackets what ever,I just didnt like it, got the animals sure, but would have prefered having my trusty harris there too.

JUST A COUPLE OF PICS TO GET YA FIZZING ABIT MORE :D

AndrewFitzpatrick23.jpg

AndrewFitzpatrick2.jpg

All the best
300WSMMAD

Sweet Pictures! Man oh Man I'm glad those two are on the list! Lol
Beautiful trophies by the way! The wait is getting harder after every post! Lol Thanks for sharing your experience friend. So what bullets did you shoot out of that .338?

They were the 225 gr Accubond.
I just read some of your other questions, about mounting and malaria.

If you PH tells you not to worry about Malaria meds, dont get them, some side affects are nasty,you can do with out that.

Mounting your throphys, get them done in your country, oh yeah make sure when they cape the warthog they flesh out the warts!! if they dont your taxidermist will have to use fake ones, you cant tell but, a 10 minute job with a knife would have got my hog to me in a year, it took 4 years and a very ****ed off taxidermist and customer, it cost me more than it should.
The end result is superb, good things take time I suppose :rolleyes:

Any more qustions more than happy to answer, love talking about it!!!

300WSMMAD

Half way through my first of 3 photo safaris I decided I would only take pictures over there. Tanzania and Kenya.

View more images at

LenBackus.com

122.jpg

_2H11106NC.jpg

_2H12233NC.jpg

_2H20487NC.jpg

_2H20366NC.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.