Africa

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by LongestShot, Feb 5, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. LongestShot

LongestShot Well-Known Member

Going to Africa this fall and will be taking my 270WSM. Going to be shooting animals from small deer sized to a 1500 pound Eland. I want to use 150 grain bullets. Thinking of the Swift A frame or the Hammer. Anyone have any recommendations?

2. snox801

snox801 Well-Known Member

Hammer for sure. No doubt in my mind that’s what I would use.

just country likes this.
  3. Skeeter05

Skeeter05 Member

My vote would be for the Barnes TTSX.

4. LongestShot

LongestShot Well-Known Member

The only problem with the Barnes TTSX bullets is they only go up to 130 grain bullet, I'd like to get 150 grain plus for the Eland. The Hammers have a 156 and a 168 grain bullet.

5. gillettehunter

gillettehunter Well-Known Member

I will suggest that you go over to africahunting.com and do some reading there. Best place for African hunting experience. The Swift A-frames have a strong following. Good bullets. I'm going to suggest rethinking that caliber for eland. They can weigh over 1600 lbs. I lost one with a 160 grain in a 7mm. First shot at 250 yds. Caught a small tree that neither my PH or I saw. Hit the eland so the chase was on. Got another bullet in him at close to 250 yds. We tracked him for a couple of miles. The group of 5 bulls picked up 2 more and then some cows and calves. Never found him. I know a certain gun writer killed one with a 6.5CM, but those that regularly hunt them are going to suggest a .30 cal or bigger. You draw blood you pay the trophy fee whether you find him or not. If your hunting in the East Cape then you might be OK. More open in some areas there. Might consider borrowing a camp rifle for the eland and then using yours for the rest.
    Back to your question. Accubonds will also work. The A frames as well as the TSX or Hammers. Not a bad choice in the lot. I've been there 3 times and headed back this year.
    Bruce

Old rooster, ragsflh, Josh P and 2 others like this.
  6. 257Tony

257Tony Well-Known Member

Both of those bullets require fast twist barrels. The 145 Sledgehammer would be your best bet, assuming your using a standard 1:10 twist barrel.

RockyMtnMT likes this.
  7. rfurman24

rfurman24 Well-Known Member

I would not be shooting an Eland with a 270. Obviously it is your choice. I think it is border line unethical and if you do wound one not only will you have to deal with the thought that you wounded and animal but you will also be out the cash. I would want a large 30 cal bullet 200 grains plus or something even larger.

Morrison and johnwm like this.
  8. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

One of the girls in our last team Hammer trip to South Africa took an 1800 lb trophy eland with our 257 wby using a 116g Sledge Hammer. It went about 40y after the 1st shot frontal. Second shot was not needed as the bull was tipping over. That shot broke the 4" dia front leg bone, passed through the front of the chest and lodged in the of side brisket. The 1st shot was recovered in the small intestine after traveling through 5' of eland. Both recovered bullets looked identical.

Assuming you have a 1-10" twist the heaviest Hammer that will properly stabilize will be the 145g Sledge Hammer. Shoot it with confidence and enjoy your SA trip!

257Tony and DENWA like this.
  9. rfurman24

rfurman24 Well-Known Member

A 22 will kill an animal. Does not make it right. Good luck on your hunt.

10. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

That's way too much velocity for the small deer and antelope. You'd be better off with something like a .22 Hornet for them with a good heavy jacketed soft point. They'll pop like a balloon if you overdo it.

A whole lot of them though are shot succesfully and without too much damage with a .375 H&H using solids.

Either the Hammers or A Frame will work for you on the Eland but honestly I'd want something much bigger. I would probably not attempt to take an Eland with anything less than a .30 cal and the .375 Ruger would definitely be my primary "go to" on anything that large and tough.

rfurman24 likes this.
  11. jjmp

jjmp Well-Known Member

While I'll never get to Africa, I'm a 270 wsm owner n reloader ,don't forget Barnes TSX 150"s they were reloaded by a Great friend of mine for his work budy md/70/270wsm and shot threw both shoulders of the Ontario moose running at over 300 yds , 2nd shot was taken but not needed,granted that bull moose wasn't 1700 lbs but with a head of steam their no push over either . If I mite add the Great Nosler 160 partition it's baring surface is shorter and it's proven ! Yes A-Frames is also proven, pick 2/3 reload them and see what shoots the best for you .Congrats n good luck on your up comming hunt !

12. snox801

snox801 Well-Known Member

I can add I’ve never shot one but my father goes every year and has take a few. The .270 will work fine as Steve stated. Monos excel at that type of hunting. You can seem to always get away with a smaller weight it seems than with a cup core. Yes better options are available but in your case I would not have a problem using the 270. You just need penetration and monos offer that in spades.

jlmercer likes this.
  13. eastbank

eastbank Well-Known Member

they can be very big and need to be shot in the right place for a quick kill. I used a cz-550 in .375 H&H mag with a 270 gr bullet at 2650 fps for a one shot kill.

Attached Files:

rfurman24, Morrison and johnwm like this.
  14. jlmercer

jlmercer New Member

I agree with snox. The .270 will work with a good solid bullet.

RAGGED EDGE and Al King like this.