Ackley feeding problems?

Schnyd112

The only post I can find on this was archived from 2010. I am bulding a .260 ai on a Remington 700 short action. It looks like my coal will turn the rem into a single shot (2.95-3" coal)so I want to have a companion gun built on a savage 110/111 for tactical matches and hunting.

I read people say watch out for 40* shoulders, they have feeding issues, but that's why I don't own one.

Ok, so to guys that shoot them, does anybody actually have feeding issues? If so, we're you able to solve the problem? I would ideally get a center feed AICS DBM on a long action savage, but may just go with a hinged floor plate and scrap the detachable mag. I know there are ackley owners here and I just want to pick your brain(s).

I do not have a .260 AI, but I have 3 other Ackley calibers with 40* shoulders, and none of them have any issues feeding rounds... I have heard this said numerous times before, but have never had it happen to any of mine.

If I had to guess what COULD be the cause of this problem, it is not from the 40* shoulder itself, but from the added width of the Ackley case at the shoulder/body junction. Because the AI calibers have less case taper than the case they derived from, the factory magazine followers might need to be modified to make them feed properly.

Don't personally own one but a couple shooting buddies do (.223AI) and they have had feeding issues during tactical style matches. I borrowed a .223AI for a match one day and experienced some issues as well. My gunsmith earlier this week advised that i'd probably have feeding issues as well if I built a .223AI instead of a standard .223. He did say as the caliber grew in size, feeding issues normally diminish, so the .260AI would like have less issues than the .223's I'm referencing.

Just another perspective.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts