700 rem sa case feeding problems

The gun is a 6.5 CM.
the rail had a radius cut at the rear and clears the rim. If you look hard at the photos you can barely see it.
it is both a range gun and a hunting gun.
I do like the idea off the HS drop in.

Never had a problem with a trued and squared up 700 action but have on PTG blue printed actions. They have no tolerance at all and is fine on a bench but takes a little getting used to hunting

I'm sure you have tried this already but some of the pictures look like the mag box isn't centered nor square under the action. I had some feeding problems like this one and it was because I didn't put the box back into the grooves in the receiver correctly. Check for a loose fit between the box and the stock.

I will look into the anti tilt follower. Haven't touched the gun since yesterday. I am thinking the spring is an issue along with the follower being a bit tight on the sides.
The box is very tight in the stock & action. No wiggle room.
The rails are untouched factory except where I smoothed out the sharp transition at the ramp. Polished the edges also.

Looking at the follower with the bolt open it looks like it is slightly lower in the back. I did spread the spring to adjust it and doesn't seem to help.
The follower is floating freely in the box.
As to the question if I leave cases in the box for a long period of time...no I don't, but maybe a good idea if will settle the spring into position.

This is a photo of my 6.5 CM.
It really shoots well. I have been using Hammer Bullets and I am impressed with the groups and ease of load development.
It likes Sierra bullets better than ELD's.

Attachments

• 20190316_152347.jpg
    20190316_152347.jpg
    709.8 KB · Views: 327
I am looking at a drop in Detachable Bottom Metal for my 6.5 CM Rem 700.----or a solution to feeding issues. I polished the feed rails & transitions to the ramp but once in a while the bolt slides over the cartridge----failing to chamber that round.
I like the idea of the center position of the cartridge in relation to the bore with the DBM.
I looked at the HS Product...Very $$$.
OR-Maybe I need to look a different BDL
Open for suggestions. Rem 700 is new. The Rem 700 is new to me also. Still learning!

Had this problem with a Ruger in 300 WM. In my case I would load 3 cartridges into the magazine. The first and third would lift correctly and the bolt would slide them into the chamber just fine. But the rear of the second cartridge the would stay lower and the bolt would slide over it. If I gently pressed the front part of the case a bit, the rear would lift enough for the bolt to catch it. Took it to a smith who tweaked the spring, which helped some but the problem was still there. He recommended replacing the spring. That solved the problem. So in my case, it was just a weak spring.

Planetwaves, that's exactly what happens. I didn't know if the spring could be changed on the bottom metal. It looks like cast aluminum and the retaining tabs look like they would brake. I will look at it closer.
Thanks for the info.

Planetwaves, that's exactly what happens. I didn't know if the spring could be changed on the bottom metal. It looks like cast aluminum and the retaining tabs look like they would brake. I will look at it closer.
Thanks for the info.

It can be replaced. You can order the spring from Midway USA

Thanks. I was just looking at that. I also just saw a video on replacing it.

If you have any doubts, order the spring and then take the new spring and the rifle to a smith. They can swap it in about 2 minutes. My smith did it right on the counter and didn't charge me for doing it.

Another thing I did was take along 3 snap cap cartriges to safely try it out before I left the smith's place. Luckily it worked.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts