Help! 300WM belted mags and clip feeding problems..

NorthernSniper

Well when I bought my 300WM I thought over just about everything but overlooked magazine feeding problems due to the belt on the cartridge. Am I doing something wrong? is there a trick to stacking the cartridges into the sako 75 clip or is this just something you have to live with? I spent a lot of time in Grizzly country by myself a lot of that time, sometimes in thick stuff where I could have ended up 20yds from Grizz. I had almost total confidence at the time but thinking back and now knowing this rifle could have jammed up it's a little scary.

I shoot a Sako 300WM, and I have never had a feeding problem. Granted, I have never had to take a follow-up shot at a ****ed off griz, but I have ripped off a couple shots in succession of pigs with no problems.

When you load the magazine make sure every cartridge is firmly back against the rear of the magazine. This is a pain in the butt but has to be done with belted cartridges. If a lower one is further forward than a higher one then the higher ones belt will be behind the lower one and hang.

Secondly, sometimes a magazine spring is just too strong and will not feed the first one consistently when it is full or the first one will drag the second one too far forward for it to feed.

I think I'm going to trade this 300WM in on a 300WSM I can't take a chance on another jammed action. I was lucky and got a moose this year and my action got jammed when I cycled the action to finish off the downed animal. I found out a day later that a real big Grizzly for some reason had fought and killed a 6ft Black bear 3/4 of a mile from there. I can carefully load my clip but if I bump the rifle the cartridges shift out of alginment I thought maybe there was a trick to it I could use. I use 200gr accubonds I kind of hate to go to the 300WSM because I hear the 200gr is not really suited to the 300WSM.

Sounds like you need more spring pressure to keep the rounds packed tighter, not less as I suggested.

Maybe when Kirby gets through cutting up his antelope he can help you.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.