Weatherby feeding issue

4xforfun

We have 2 Weatherby MK V Accumark 30 - 378 WBY's re barreled to 338 Lapua. Rounds will not feed from the mag on either gun. Is there a solution to this problem?

Thanks,
Tod

Only thing I can think of is that your going from a belted case to one without a belt.
A long with the also obvious different case tapers.
Your going to have to work the bolt slowly and look for where it's hanging up. Pay attention to the angle the cartridge takes on its path.

Sounds like you'll need a new "magazine follower" and possibly "spring"... you might call Weatherby, and ask if they have something that would help. The other option is to take it to a gunsmith who could modify the magazine follower you have in the gun and possibly adjust (rebend) the spring. Is it just not picking them up or just driving them nose down when you try to feed them? Good luck Cheers

Only thing I can think of is that your going from a belted case to one without a belt.
A long with the also obvious different case tapers.
Your going to have to work the bolt slowly and look for where it's hanging up. Pay attention to the angle the cartridge takes on its path.
Just what I was going to say. Maybe use a little machinist powdered ink to see where there is/isn't interference?

Sounds like you'll need a new "magazine follower" and possibly "spring"... you might call Weatherby, and ask if they have something that would help. The other option is to take it to a gunsmith who could modify the magazine follower you have in the gun and possibly adjust (rebend) the spring. Is it just not picking them up or just driving them nose down when you try to feed them? Good luck Cheers
Follower. If you haven't changed it, I'm thinking that's the problem. IMO

I recently barreled my 300 MK V to a 300 PRC and had the same issue. I went back to my smith and took the old barrel/Chamber to him and had to recut the campher leading into the chamber. It works, but not as smoothly as I would like it to. There is a smith in Nevada that specializes in this problem. After talking to him and relaying the info to my smith we were able to get things somewhat resolved. I do not have the info for the Nevada guy anymore but I was able to find him with a google search. It required you to ship your gun and pay to have it returned. I think that it was around $500 to $600.
Good luck!

Are you handholding or factory ammo? I just was having a slight issue with one of my rifle that I started handholding for and I found that I wasn't seating the bullet deep enough and it was slightly hanging up

I had a MK V that was originally a 30-06 re chambered to 6.5 x 284. Which would not load from the mag. I had a drop out mag kit fitted because the supplier said it would sort the problem. It didn't.
I ended up glueing running strip to the mag to lift the bullet higher so that it entered the chamber at the right angle and glueing a spacer to the inside rear of the mag to keep the shorter bullets and cases in the correct place so the bolt would pick them up.
Sorted.
Then I sold it.

This is often the issue when people rebarrel/rechamber rifles…getting them to feed correctly. Take them to a good gunsmith to modify the action feed rails. Realize, the cases are slightly different, so they'll stack in the magazine differently and the follower will have a different geometry. You might be able to get someone to make a different (custom) follower for you. I wouldn't think you would need a different magazine spring, but I'm not sure.

Went through this same thing with a weatherby mark v. Guy that did the barrel work told me he was the greatest thing ever then it would not feed from magazine or a single shot follower. I found a Smith with experience on weatherbys and in 10 seconds he found the problem. Pulled barrel cut the chamber correctly and in 45 minutes it was feeding perfect. I will never take a weatherby to anyone that doesn't know what the hell they are doing again. Some of these so called gunsmiths that are out there should be run out of town.

We have 2 Weatherby MK V Accumark 30 - 378 WBY's re barreled to 338 Lapua. Rounds will not feed from the mag on either gun. Is there a solution to this problem?

Thanks,
Tod
Hi Tod, hmm the other option LRP 338 Detachable Box Magazine For Weatherby Mark V, I was scoping out a similar project and came to the conclusion may have to go this route. , these are currently out of stock but this is another option to get around your feeding issue. There may be other vendors, refer to the link below.